Add Yeast to Bottle a Barley Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeF

Reaction score
I brewed a Barley Wine a few months ago and was wondering if I should add yeast for bottling? OG 1.105 FG 1.026

I'd go one step further and krausen that yeast first.

Get a yeast starter going (say, in a beer bottle and just use a piece of aluminum foil over the top as an "airlock") and wait until "high krausen" when you've got active fermentation and a nice pillowy head going. Should be a day or two at the most if you're using dried yeast, maybe slightly longer for liquid.

Use that as your priming mixture in your filling bucket before bottling.

Since you've got a pretty big beer going on, giving the yeast a head start will help to make sure you don't get any flat bottles. Just be sure to measure a little bit more sugar than you would otherwise use for priming to account for some waste in the starter.

Good luck! :mug:

How many months is a few? If it is less than 6 you will probably be fine without adding anymore yeast. It may take a while to carb up, but that bad boy needs to some time to age anyway.

I assume with my (OG 1.090, FG 1.026) Belgian i can do the same?
Its been in the 2nd for 2 weeks , so if I bottle in a week or so I should get carb in a few months without using more yeast.
Whats an amount of DME for priming? 1 or 2 cups?

Keep in mind with a big beer like a barleywine that fresh yeast will be going into a high alcohol environment which is not going to make them happy. Even with fresh fermentables the yeast may not be able to carb the beer up before shutting down. The best thing is to try and put some of the original yeast back into suspension to wake them up a little before priming for bottling.

Ed

Back