Hop measurement question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
I have a pound of dried fresh Cascades hops and I am making Edworts Haus Pale Ale. I do not have a scale, so can anyone tell me "about" how many ounces a good solid handful of fresh dried hops eaquals?

Thanks,
Dan

I have a pound of dried fresh Cascades hops and I am making Edworts Haus Pale Ale. I do not have a scale, so can anyone tell me "about" how many ounces a good solid handful of fresh dried hops eaquals?

Thanks,
Dan

Depends on how tall you are. :D

I don't have any equipment nearby (stupid work rules against cube brewing), but I'd guestimate that a 1/4 cup would get you right at an ounce.

but again...just a wild guess.

Depends on how tall you are. :D

I don't have any equipment nearby (stupid work rules against cube brewing), but I'd guestimate that a 1/4 cup would get you right at an ounce.

but again...just a wild guess.

That is closer than I have now :)

Thanks bud.

Dan

make your best guess, then put in less than that at 60. Taste it along the way (cool the samples down first!) and add more as you go. THey used to do it by flavor...

You could always make a cobbled balance beam, find something else close to an Ounce by weight (pills, spices, bag of pellets, etc...), hang baggies on both sides of a stick (pencil, chopstick, etc...), and fill to balance.

Yeah, it's gotta be more than 1/4 cup per ounce. I'd guess that it's closer to 1 cup. I've got the remnants of 3 8oz bags of leaf hops. Each filled at least 1/2 of a 1 gallon ziploc -- that would be about 1 cup/oz. But it is just an estimate.

Spread them out on the table and make 16 equal piles.:D

The only problem with that method is I have dipped into the 1 pound bag for several brews - it is not a virgin :D

I just "winged" it - I put one really full handfull in at boil for 1 oz (I figured out real quick 1/4 cup could not be right - the toilet paper roll sounds about right), then about half that after 30 min - maybe a little more than half, then half again for the 45 and 55 min additions. The hydrometer tasted about right so I guess I was close.

I plan to dry hop it as well, so I am pretty sure it will be just fine!

Thanks all.

Dan

homegrown hopping is always an adventure. I dry-hop with it mainly.

I bought a nice little 1.5 lb digital scale on ebay for a couple bucks from China.

Seems to work ok. It never blew up or caught fire yet.

Back