using gelatin finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have a centenniel blond getting ready to go to secondary. I want it super clear if possible. do I use the gelatin finings the same as in my wine?

Racking it should be fine. If you want to really clear it out, rack it a few times. Or you can always let it set in primary for a real long time.

I have one Ive let sit for 3 months now. It looks to be clearing very nice! Its a wheat beer.

I never use finings, but you can use gelatin if you want. I think it would be like you do for wine- dissolve the gelatin, and and it to the beer. It works better if the beer is cold.

I never use finings, but you can use gelatin if you want. I think it would be like you do for wine- dissolve the gelatin, and and it to the beer. It works better if the beer is cold.

how cold yoop? I can set it outside but that is REALLY cold lol!!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/beer-gelatin-69919/
I follow BierMuncher's method and it works wonderfully. (made my beer as clear as commercial beer.) Cold crash night before in fridge. add gelatin. keep in fridge a few days to let clear. Then rack to keg or bottle condition. I always keg my gelatin beers so i can't speak to if it affects bottle conditioning. Outside should work for you as long as it doesn't freeze.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/beer-gelatin-69919/
I follow BierMuncher's method and it works wonderfully. (made my beer as clear as commercial beer.) Cold crash night before in fridge. add gelatin. keep in fridge a few days to let clear. Then rack to keg or bottle condition. I always keg my gelatin beers so i can't speak to if it affects bottle conditioning. Outside should work for you as long as it doesn't freeze.

I racked to secondary without the gelatin...wish i had used it after seeing how cloudy the beer was. I may still set it outside tomorrow all day to try to clear it up some.

I racked to secondary without the gelatin...wish i had used it after seeing how cloudy the beer was. I may still set it outside tomorrow all day to try to clear it up some.

you can still add the gelatin to the secondary if you want. Let it cool off out side then add the gelatin. give it a gentle stir with sanitized spoon.

I think I will..it is milky so I'll give it a try...just like the wine right? dissolve in cold water...then boil then pour in?

Do not boil it. That will cause it to denature and then it will not work as a classifier.

Here is what i follow to mix it and it works great.

I use a tablespoon per five gallon batch.

Mix it with hot tap water in a sauce pot, about 1 cup of water per tablespoon.

Stir it up and let it sit for 20-30 minutes to hydrate and bloom.

Put the pot on the stove and heat until it looks like it’s about to start boiling…don’t boil.

Cool slightly (I put my pot in a cold water bath).

Add it (gently) to the secondary (or keg) as you’re racking your beer.

Back