Can 48qt. coolers handle a 10gallon batch grain bill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a standard 48 qt. ice chest/cooler which I use for a MLT. Also I batch sparge, not fly sparge.

I did a search and didn't find anything right off... so I'll ask

Has any one made a 10 gallon batch from this size of MLT? I imagine it would be pushing the limits of the cooler. Granted this would depend on the grain bill. I am interested in trying a larger batch since I now have two primary's available and wonder if I have the capacity for the mash?

Cheers!
:mug:

You should be able to, but it will depend on your efficiency and the planned original gravity of the beer you're making.

Check out this thread.

Brian

I am gona say yes since I just did around 25 lbs of grain in my 10 gallon rubber maid cooler. Was it close? yes very but I was able to to it and I feel like thats more than the average 10 gallon grain bill.

Thanks for the input, my typical grain bill is about 11lbs / 5 gallon batch. So if you managed to get 25lbs of grain I should be ok. I was hoping to mash around 1.75 to 2 qt's per lb.

Thanks for the input, my typical grain bill is about 11lbs / 5 gallon batch. So if you managed to get 25lbs of grain I should be ok. I was hoping to mash around 1.75 to 2 qt's per lb.

So that's 38.5- 44 quarts of water for your mash, plus the 22 lbs of grain you're using, all in a 48 quart cooler. Sounds like trouble. If I were you, I'd mash a bit thicker (~1.25 quarts per lb.). That gives you 27.5 quarts of water, leaving a more reasonable amount of room for the grains, which you'll need to stir as well. You should be able to do this with no problem, but I think you'd be best off mashing thicker.

I've mashed 15lbs in my Igloo icecube which I think is 48qt. I didn't have a very good efficiency but I am not sure that is related to my mash tun, I suspected it was poor conversion and that I was batch sparging.

I've done 15lbs in my 48 qt with a lot of room to spare. I was going to try a 10 gal batch this weekend with a 26lb grain bill. At 1.25 qt per lb I think I should be able to handle it. It's going to be a long slow sparge though.

I mash in a 1/4 keg, 7.25 gallons (29 qts). Last 10 gallon batch I made yesterday I used 6 gallons of water, (24 qts) and 19 lbs grain. It didn't quite fit. I had to drain off about a quart of "stuff" until the grain had soaked up some water and let out its air. Then I poured the stuff back in. The tun was FULL to the top. I did get 82% efficiency, OG 1.56 after boil. Fly sparge.

David :)

Back