Yeast Starters ?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don5153

Reaction score
Hello, I just made my first yeast starter. I read and watched a lot of videos on You-Tube & I think I did everything right. Now I'm just sitting here wondering if all the work was worth it. Did I do something wrong, did I sanitize everything, did I put enough yeast in?????? I don't want to brew 10 gallons and wait 3-4 weeks, just to find out I screwed something up. Or for $16.00 I can get 2 smack-packs for my 10 gallons.

I went step by step with the: Yeast Washing Illustrated & Yeast Starter pages here on Home Brew Talk.

So do you think making a yeast starter is worth all the extra time and effort?

RDWHAHB- Everything will be alright. Just give it time. It's worth it to make sure that you have the proper cell count before pitching. It will help out, and not let your yeasties get stressed.

Ive been brewing now for a little over two years and one brew ago i made my first starter. It took off like no other brew ive done and will do a starter from here on out when ever possible. I couldnt beleive the significant difference.

Don't worry so much. It's good to drink away this care- go have a beer and forget about the starter. I promise it'll be fine!

(I've probably made 75 starters- ALL of them were fine!)

I went thru the same thing when I made my first starter... The whole "Oh crap, did I waste my time? Did I use the right DME? Was it enough to yeast to work?!?!?!"

That sonofab!tch took off like a bat outta hell... I had only seen pictures of break and krausen like that before... I never imagined something I did could look that purdy...

I am sure it will turn out just fine...

I will not brew unless a yeast starter is made that is how important it is to me. I can say I love to see the beer fermenting 4-5 hours later after pitching a good Healthy amount of yeast.

No. I use the lightest I can find, though- in case I'm making a light colored beer. I usually use light or extra-light. It really doesn't matter, though- it's a pretty small volume.

I get that fermentation starts more quickly (with attendant benefits), but do you all find that there is a significant improvement in taste?

I don't have any experience with taste and using starters , but the RIS I have in my primary started fermenting after 2 and a half hours when I used a starter. This was my first time trying it too, and I'm sold.

No. I use the lightest I can find, though- in case I'm making a light colored beer. I usually use light or extra-light. It really doesn't matter, though- it's a pretty small volume.

i didn't use a starter in my batch this weekend (was my second bach and didn't know about starters until 2 days later) and had to pitch a package of dry yeast to get my fermentation going. anyway, back on subject, but i picked up a pack of golden light dme for next time. will this be light enough and acceptable for any beer? i appreciate any input.

I'm probably the minority here but I don't use Starters that often.

First you should not make a starter for dry yeast. It's not just a waste of time it is detremental to the yeast. (That's not a minority opinion everyone agrees on that. Well almost everyone.)

Second I believe the Wyeast propaganda. You don't need a starter for a moderate OG (say 1.050) five gallon batch. (White Labs say the same thing.) So long as the yeast is not that old and the wort is properly oxygenated you'll be fine.

Since I'm using dry yeast more now and brew mostly session beers I don't need a starter very often.

The only advantage in those situations is you get to "proof" the yeast and it starts a bit faster.

Lagers, big beers and growing up washed yeast, ya then you need a starter.

Don't get me wrong learning how to make a good starter is a good skill and is need for the above brews I just don't think it's the requirement others do. My .02(Canadian)

Rudeboy

Back