Spike with.... Anybody?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just do it! now is the time for action! if you don't do it, the BMC drinkers will win! the fate of the free world now rests upon your next few beers, no pressure.

just do it! now is the time for action! if you don't do it, the BMC drinkers will win! the fate of the free world now rests upon your next few beers, no pressure.

I like the way you think :tank:

Yup... I did a quick Kitchen Lab test and added 30g of HB Brown and then made 3 samples adding in 1g , 2g and 4g of spiced Oakheart Rum...

1g makes a 6% abv beer... very subtle
2g makes a 8% abv beer... about right
4g makes a 10.5% abv beer... maybe too much for the light hearted. But the real men will still enjoy it. reminds be of big beer in this arena with the not so well hidden alcohol. Anybody with a scale and a little rum (or whatever) should try this... Great Friday night exercise.

Cheers!
:rockin:

Yup... I did a quick Kitchen Lab test and added 30g of HB Brown and then made 3 samples adding in 1g , 2g and 4g of spiced Oakheart Rum...

1g makes a 6% abv beer... very subtle
2g makes a 8% abv beer... about right
4g makes a 10.5% abv beer... maybe too much for the light hearted. But the real men will still enjoy it. reminds be of big beer in this arena with the not so well hidden alcohol. Anybody with a scale and a little rum (or whatever) should try this... Great Friday night exercise.

What the heck is 'g'?

I've added rum to a few beers. Not to spike them, but to try and complement the flavor. Goes well in a big Porter. I can't remember how much, somewhere about half a liter to 5 gallons. Increases abv by about 1%.

Sorry
1g is 1 gram.
My scale is fine enough so that this works for me.. Just scale it up to the accuracy of your scale

30grams is roughly a shot glass
add 1 gram of rum is roughly 5 drops

The math is:
(abv)A*(amount)A + (abv)B*(amount)B = (abv)mixture*(amount)mixture

So an example might be a little Brown Ale (30g) with an abv of say 5.5% with some 80 proof (40%abv) rum.
So (abv)A*(amount)A + (abv)B*(amount)B = (abv)mixture*(amount)mixture
is now
(5.5)A*(30)A + (40)B*(1)B = (abv)mixture*(31)mixture
is
165+40=(ABV)(31)
is
205=ABV(31)
205/31= ABV
6.6 = ABV mixture

(abv)mixture = 6.6%

1g of rum bumped a 5.5% Brown ale to 6.6%
Yeehaaa

A shot of rum in a stout is a drink called a Gentleman.

Drop a shot of rum in a brown ale and it is ______________________?

Wow a whole shot!!!! ... That's 28g per 1oz
Anybody wanna do the math?

Drop a shot of rum in a brown ale and it is ______________________?
A Dusty Gentleman?
A Dirty Ho? Ha!!! I like it.

Anybody else?

Back