Crushing Grain w/o a mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooba

Reaction score
Hey guys!! I'm thinking about doing my 1st BIAB this weekend. I've been doing partial mashes for awhile now. Does anyone have a way to crush 12 lbs of grain easily? Of course, I do not have a grain mill and my local liquor store sells the grain but does not crush the grain for you. Any ideas?

:mug:Best method I am aware of for emergency grain milling is a blender...feed a cup or two at a time and pulse the blender till all grains are chopped up w/ very little or no whole grains left...shouldn't take too long and will get ya brewin:mug:

:mug:Best method I am aware of for emergency grain milling is a blender...feed a cup or two at a time and pulse the blender till all grains are chopped up w/ very little or no whole grains left...shouldn't take too long and will get ya brewin:mug:

I didn't know you can crush grain that fine.

I think you can do a more fine crush when doing BIAB, maybe someone who uses BIAB can chime in. Do you have a wal-mart near by? I think they carry corona mills for about $25.

I used a blender for my first couple of BIAB batches. It works, just take it slow. A cup or 2 at a time. Benders cut the grain rather than crushes it. I wouldnt go back to blending except for an emergency.

Later, I picked up a corona mill online for $19 online then attached a drill . . . . life so much easier.

My conversion Eff. is better with the mill. However, since then I also learned to stir every 15 mins. Stirring the mash really helped my Eff.

It's a heck of a workout, but I've used a rolling pin before. It actually does a very nice job, but you're gonna sweat! I didn't mind the workout, but I likely won't do that again! I have a LHBS that will crush it for me, but I intend on getting a corona mill soon..

It's a heck of a workout, but I've used a rolling pin before. It actually does a very nice job, but you're gonna sweat! I didn't mind the workout, but I likely won't do that again! I have a LHBS that will crush it for me, but I intend on getting a corona mill soon..

A rolling pin for 12 pounds of grain...thats free fitness club I would imagine:mug:

A rolling pin for 12 pounds of grain...thats free fitness club I would imagine:mug:

Actually I only did 7lbs for a 2 gallon batch. I could have done another 5lbs, but I'm glad I didn't need to! I had to try it at least once, but just once! I'm looking forward to getting that Corona!

I have used the blender when I first started. Not ideal, but it works. My father has doe the rolling pin thing, ad after about 8 hours was ready to start. I haven't tried it but I have also heard on here half filling zip lock bags and running over them with the car. (Slowly)

word of advice dont do it, get a corona mill from wal-mart, best option, the crush is eveything!!!!! fact

word of advice dont do it, get a corona mill from wal-mart, best option, the crush is eveything!!!!! fact

Dont do what??? Brew with grains cut up in a blender? I would "do it":mug:

Starsky and Hutch reference folks FTW:mug:

You can get a bad crush from a blender, barley crusher whaterver kind of mill you use...the important thing to look for is NO whole pieces of grain!

Coffee grinder did the trick for my BIAB batches. 80+% eff. But I've started the hunt for a mill. Coffee beans have a nice oilyness that is missing with barley. I feel like my grinder is going to lockup on me one of these days..

Sandwich a layer of grain between two sheets of plywood and drive over it a couple times with the family truckster.

Ok, I've never done this.....just brainstorming. If you are in a pinch, without a mill, efficiency may fly out the window.... you'll find a way.

I have used a rolling pin for small amounts and there is power in numbers. You could round up some friends and organize a roll down.

Damn, I love these creative ideas. I'm drinking coffee and laughing my a** off!! I think I'm gonna get a corona mill and try that!! Thanks to all for the input.

I'm laughing really hard right now (on the inside) imagining someone trying to feed 12 lbs of grain into a paper shredder!

I'm laughing really hard right now (on the inside) imagining someone trying to feed 12 lbs of grain into a paper shredder!

Keep laughing bud, keep laughing....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/paper-shredder-mill-203515/

Shredder_with_Hopper.JPG

Back