EdWort's Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I just made some Edwort's Apfelwein for the first time. I used Mott 100% Apple Juice. I had a 5lb bag of corn sugar and no scale to weight the sugar, so I made a guess at 2lb. When I was done, I think I ended up using half the bag. Making it 2.5 lb, will this be OK? Next time I will buy 1lb bags or buy a scale.

It may be a bit drier and have higher octane but I'm betting it will be okay. Let us know how it turns out. I am fermenting my first batch right now!

Ya adding more corn sugar will just mainly boost your APV. Since the yeast strain you use is good till up to 17% it will still turn out nice a dry. It will just put you on your ass faster. I just started a 15 gallon batch with 10 lbs of corn sugar raising the APV up to 11.2 ish. I know I'm excited for it to be done.

I have my 1st batch of this going in my basement. Its been down there a couple weeks still not to the FG yet but getting down there. I followed Ed's instructions to a tee. Down to 1.010. 1 question I have is what is everyone using to backsweeten?

Thanks!

Back