How much Cardamom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOPCousin

Reaction score
Anyone brewed with Cardamom? I'm planning on doing a Cardamom Pumpkin Brown Ale for Thanksgiving this year and wondering how much cardamom to use?

Going to spend thanksgiving in Austin TX with my sister this year so i decided ot brew up something special for the occassion.

It depends on a lot of things... How fresh is it? Sounds crazy, but if you have really fresh stuff I would use about a 1/4 of what you normally would. Basically, if you call point out the spice you put in too much. I would try just a little and then add more to taste after it has fermented.

Spices vary so much that it is hard to quantify it. As stated above fresh changes things and all the different sources and types complicates it as well. If it was mine I'd take a tiny amount and boil/steep it in a pot of tea and see what you think. Then scale it up from the tasting. When I drink a cup of Chai Tea it is usually the Cardamom that stands out from all the other spices and I could imagine making 5 gallons of beer pretty hard to drink if you overdo it.

I've used cardamom already in a 5 gallon brew and wouldn't suggest adding more than a 1/4 tsp. Like all have said, if it is fresh, add less. I like what samc said; take a bit and flavor it according to your tastes, then extrapolate from there for your batch size.

I just made a saison with cardamom added at 5minutes from flameout. I have some cardamom in their pods that I broke open and crushed the seeds. I discarded the shells and ended up adding a little less than 1/8tsp. It was the perfect amount for this beer. It is noticeable but not something that is overpowering. In fact, I don't think anyone would be able to pick it out unless they were looking for it. The beer also had a large Amarillo aroma addition so it has some other strong aromas to mingle with. It's a really awesome beer actually.

That is helpful guys thanks. has anone used chocolate rye malt? Any differences in use % compared to regular chocolate malt?
Here is the recipe I've created for my fall seasonal:

77% 6lb 8 American Two-row Pale
12% 1lb 0 Munich Malt - 10L
6% 0lb 8 Chocolate Rye Malt
4% 0lb 6 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
0% 0lb ½ Black (Patent) Malt
2oz lactose

2lbs pumpkin for 5-7 days to taste
cardamom 1/8-1/4 tsp a 2min.

I was thinking something around 45 ibu's
I'll decide on the hops when I taste the cardamom

I usually do porters, stouts, ipa's, pales, and wheat for the fam but this will be my first brown ale.

Back