Whats your favorite yeast(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raffie

Reaction score
I been enjoying the British 1098 and the Kolsch 2565.

I do not see lots of beer that use the Kolsch so thought I'd play with it.

It an interesting yeast.

The one that fits the style I'm brewing.

Sorry for the smartass answer--I couldn't stop myself.

I've made some very good beers with 1098 also.

Yeah, I don't really have a particular favorite. I do like Wyeast London ESB, because of it's ridiculously clean flavors and super-high flocculating properties. Unfortunately, the only batch I made with it (outside of a cherry stout that masked its properties) got infected somehow. SO disappointing. I had this awesome london ale while it was in secondary. I dry-hopped it and aged it...you wouldn't believe how clear and delicious it was at bottling. Then...the first bottle...cloudy...sour...gusher...BASTARD!

Oh well. Gonna use it again someday.

I'm also a fan of pacman, and Wyeast Abbey Ale (very spicy!). So far, the Wyeast Bohemian Lager has produced a fabulous, clean pils, but it's not done lagering yet, so the verdict isn't completely in.

I've always got a fresh stash of WLP400- Belgian Wit Ale Yeast and Nottinghams at my place. I suppose you could call them my favorites - but only because I like the style of beer they make.

Depends on the style for me as well, but I always have a few satchels of Nottingham around. That stuff makes beautiful, clean beers and it's so much easier than using liquid yeast.

I really like WhiteLabs Burton Ale yeast. I use it in my stouts and porters and recently in an IPA which turned out awesome. Aside from that I'm with cweston; I use whatever is appropriate for what I'm brewing. I tend to favour WhiteLabs simply because it is what is immediately available to me.

Raffie said:
I been enjoying the British 1098 and the Kolsch 2565.

I do not see lots of beer that use the Kolsch so thought I'd play with it.

It an interesting yeast.

I am interested in that Kolsch yeast. I've heard it does best around 60°.

What is interesting about it in your opinion?

The Kolsch is a hybrid and has a nice flavor.

Give it a try.

Its not a very popular yeast looking around threads and web sites.

I am a big fan of the strain I got from a friend that was isolated from an IPA at the Mountain Sun Brewpub in Boulder, CO. It took my IIPA from 1.067 to 1.010 in 7 days...haven't hit attenuation like that with any strain I have bought from WL or Wyeast yet.

Other than that, I liked the beer that I made with Wyeast German Ale too, worked well, and tasty.

I can't make up my mind between Nottingham, WLP 002 (English Ale), and PacMan. All are flocculant, fast fermenting ale yeasts with fairly clean flavor profiles. My best beers have been with these yeast strains.

Yuri_Rage said:
I can't make up my mind between Nottingham, WLP 002 (English Ale), and PacMan. All are flocculant, fast fermenting ale yeasts with fairly clean flavor profiles. My best beers have been with these yeast strains.

If you're figuring in cost and ease of use, I don't know how those two splashers can hold a candle to the sand.

(Sorry, I read too many diner lingo pages while being witty in Dude's brewpub thread...) :cross:

Nottingham and the yeast formerly known as US-56. Liquid, probably Cal V. You don't need fancy yeasts on the Dark Side.

I recently brewed a steam beer with the White Labs San Francisco Lager yeast. It fermented for nearly a month at 58-60 degrees and the resulting beer is incredible. Very clean flavor with a subtle almost a strawberry nose. Nottingham is pretty good also- has never failed to give quick and complete fermentations from my experience.

I really like nottingham and Wyeast German ale yeast for my ales and Wyeast Munich lager yeast for my lagers.

Dude said:
I am interested in that Kolsch yeast. I've heard it does best around 60°.

What is interesting about it in your opinion?

I made a batch of kolsch awhile back that introduced me to one of those bittersweet things about homebrewing that we all love. Kolsch yeast tends to cause very messy ferments with lots and lots of really sludgy trub. The resulting batch tasted really yeasty and was cloudy in the bottles. I would try a bottle here and there and several times was on the verge of dumping it. After awhile I pretty much forgot about it.

Two or three months later I decided to pop one open... Eureka!! Nectar of the gods! For a brief moment I was in homebrewing heaven. Crystal clear, golden, crisp and dry yet somehow fruity..... WTF!! I only have a half a case left!! Man, was my bubble ever burst.

I have made other batches of it since, using different recipes each time, and it has always resulted in really good beer. It likes cool fermenting temps. I recommend it highly.

I like the Kolsch too. I've gotten it to ferment all the way down to 50F even though the bottom of the range is given as 56F.

It was slow, but it kept going. It makes a great stout.

Here's something to wake you up. I like Munton's dry yeast. I used a single pack in a 5 gallon batch of a spiced winter warmer with an OG of 1.064 that I have in a room where it is 60 F. This is bubbling more rapidly and with less lag time than I ever got with Nottingham, S-04, or US-05 and when I bought replacement packs they were under a buck each. (99 cents) The pack I used had been in my refrigerator for over a year too.

Back