Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. I think I was too careful with the temps on this one then. I will do higher 70s next time....

About to throw this into the keg. Anyone know the PSI for this brew? A standard 10? Took a sample and it was very good. Thanks for the receipe.

I carb this to 3 volumes, so with the temp in my kegerator at 40° I set the pressure at 18psi according to the force carbonation chart

Brewing this now. I sadly coulnt find Sorachi Ace. So I have decided to experiment. I am splitting the batch into 2 seperate boils. batch 1 with citra replacing the sorachi, batch 2 with nelson sauvin replacing the sorachi. Otherwise pretty much the same. I will likely ferment a bit warmer, 75-80F. I want a little more of that funk!

I'm brewing this Saturday. My ingredients just shipped. I couldn't find Sorachi Ace either, so I'm going to give Galena a whirl. Does that raise any red flags for anybody? I'll probably toss some lemon peel in as others have done in conjunction with Willamette.

Also, instead of honey I think I am going to use medium amber syrup that I will make from the instructions in this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/

I'm pretty stoked about this. I love Saisons. The more funk the better.

I have never used Galelna, but it would seem that it is a reasonable replacement as it is described as having a pleasant and lightly citrus flavor.

So. Yeah. Maybe I just put 1.5 oz of cracked peppercorn in my wort instead of 1.5 tsp. Oops. Gonna try to filter it out when I our it into the fermentor. Crap.

To be honest, it may come out nicer... 1.5 tsp, i couldn't even taste the pepper... didn't give it any bite.

ne0t0ky0 said:
To be honest, it may come out nicer... 1.5 tsp, i couldn't even taste the pepper... didn't give it any bite.

I wanted the pepper to assist the yeast driven pepper notes as opposed to dominating.

However I have tossed in a handful of ground pepper when brewing this, turns out great that way too.

This has turned out to be one of my favorites! Thanks again for the recipe. :mug:

IMG_0276.jpg

going to brew this tomorrow night . spontaneous late night brew session and no time for a starter should i get one or two smack packs?

forcabrew said:
going to brew this tomorrow night . spontaneous late night brew session and no time for a starter should i get one or two smack packs?

You like saison funk? One pack will be enough, underpitching will stress the yeast and add to the esters common to saisons. Give it a try, experimentation is half the fun!

I'm wondering about the starter too. I have to do my primary in a room with a temp of 62-64. Being a little colder than ideal I was thinking under pitching would make up for it. Or am is my thinking backwards......

Brewing this tonight with slight changes. Hop additions will be fuggles at 60 fuggles at 30 and willamette at 15 all one ounces each. And I decided to go with one smack pack and no starter. I will also be adding the 1 and 1/2 tsp of pepper, zest of one lemon and the orange blossom honey. Can't wait

I may throw some coriander in there too

Done. I think the coriander is going to complement the honey nicely. I did pitch a little high at 80degrees kind of mad about that but I m still trying to figure out my new plate chiller and didn't have anymore time with my 3 yr old home

forcabrew said:
Done. I think the coriander is going to complement the honey nicely. I did pitch a little high at 80degrees kind of mad about that but I m still trying to figure out my new plate chiller and didn't have anymore time with my 3 yr old home

I think it's going to be great, post your thoughts when you try the gravity sample post fermentation!

This may be to far in advance but do you guys reccomend kegging or bottle conditioning? Should I gelatin this beer?

forcabrew said:
This may be to far in advance but do you guys reccomend kegging or bottle conditioning? Should I gelatin this beer?

I keg as I am not set up to bottle, the beer is naturally hazy but will clear over several months should you let it age, but I see no need to add gelatin

I brewed this up a couple of weeks ago, and my OG was 1055. I was a bit bummed since I clearly missed it but figured it was because this was my first AG batch. Fast forward to today, I'm cleaning up and re-organizing my brewing supplies and I find the 1lb of Honey. Boy did I feel stupid. What can I expect to change since I forgot to add the honey?

mforsman said:
I brewed this up a couple of weeks ago, and my OG was 1055. I was a bit bummed since I clearly missed it but figured it was because this was my first AG batch. Fast forward to today, I'm cleaning up and re-organizing my brewing supplies and I find the 1lb of Honey. Boy did I feel stupid. What can I expect to change since I forgot to add the honey?

Is it still in the fermenter? If so warm up the honey to thin it out a bit and pour it in!

Brewed this yesterday, it was my second all grain recipe although I've been extract/partial mash brewing for quite awhile. Was looking for a saison recipe and based on all the chatter here this seems like a good one. I added a little bit of coriander and bitter orange peel just because I like tinkering with flavors. Sure tasted good going into the carboy, although a bit peppery which I expect will fade slightly as it ferments. Seeing a lot of references to fermenting this really hot (80s or even 90s). I don't have a heater, but I do have a hot attic. Is it worth putting it up there after a few days? I'm starting in a cooler cellar (probably 68-70), was going to bring it into the main part of the house after a day or two. But could then put it somewhere warmer... Anyway, sounds like this one is somewhat forgiving, although takes much longer at cooler temps.

skills0 said:
Brewed this yesterday, it was my second all grain recipe although I've been extract/partial mash brewing for quite awhile. Was looking for a saison recipe and based on all the chatter here this seems like a good one. I added a little bit of coriander and bitter orange peel just because I like tinkering with flavors. Sure tasted good going into the carboy, although a bit peppery which I expect will fade slightly as it ferments. Seeing a lot of references to fermenting this really hot (80s or even 90s). I don't have a heater, but I do have a hot attic. Is it worth putting it up there after a few days? I'm starting in a cooler cellar (probably 68-70), was going to bring it into the main part of the house after a day or two. But could then put it somewhere warmer... Anyway, sounds like this one is somewhat forgiving, although takes much longer at cooler temps.

It is quite forgiving, I thank as long as you keep the light off it wherever it is fermenting, you should be good to go.

Did this last night. Boiled off a little more than planned and pulled a 1.064 for 5 gallons. I'll take it. The down side is I spilled a little mash on my hands right after adding my 212 mashout water. I'm still a bit sore today.

Just kegged my first brew last night! FG was 1.008 (OG was 1.06X), so I'd have to say I came as close as I could for my very first brew.

We ended up with a little more beer than our keg could hold, so we put the rest in a 2-liter bottle, force carbed it, chilled it and gave it a taste. Safe to say, it was more than well received! So props and congratulations definitely go out to @azscoob who put this together.

Initial tasting notes: mixed aroma of orange and lemon at first, and quickly followed with the hops. First sip was very crisp and sharp with a mixture of earthy flavors and the citrus/orange. Letting it sit in the mouth a few seconds, the honey quickly sneaks up and sweetens the initial bitterness. While finishing the sip, finishes with the pepper and hints of the fruits at the end.

Going to let it carbonate for the rest of the week, and then bottle some of it up to take home. Nobody is expecting the beer to last more than a day or two since it will be on tap for our next brew day, so I want to save what I can!

What should I expect to change after full carbonation? What about after bottling some after carbonating? (I know it is going to clear up a lot, but don't know what else to expect).

Will post another photo after this weekend - cheers! :mug:

375739_10100963470349658_300068218_n.jpg

Brewed this 5 days ago. I followed the recipe exactly except for the following changes:

1) Mashed for 90 minutes instead of 60
2) Added about 13-14 ounces of honey instead of 16
3) Cooled the wort to 74 degrees before pitching yeast

Hit the OG exactly. The wort is some powerful stuff, let me tell you. There's nothing mild-mannered about it.

Fermentation started maybe 18 hours after pitching (I made a starter). Warning: this yeast ferments like crazy. I highly recommend using a blow-out tube. It's still going strong 5 days later....lots and lots of bubbles....

ucbedge said:
Brewed this 5 days ago. I followed the recipe exactly except for the following changes:

1) Mashed for 90 minutes instead of 60
2) Added about 13-14 ounces of honey instead of 16
3) Cooled the wort to 74 degrees before pitching yeast

Hit the OG exactly. The wort is some powerful stuff, let me tell you. There's nothing mild-mannered about it.

Fermentation started maybe 18 hours after pitching (I made a starter). Warning: this yeast ferments like crazy. I highly recommend using a blow-out tube. It's still going strong 5 days later....lots and lots of bubbles....

You used my recommended yeast then?

That is amazing yeast. Expect to ferment out to nearly 1.002 or lower.

Tip a pint my way when its ready and snap a pic!

I have a really nice label for this one, I should post it up if anyone cares to use it for their bottles.

It is a stylized pic of the cottage I grew up in, taken from the two track road going to it. Lots of memories rolled into that pic!

That is amazing yeast. Expect to ferment out to nearly 1.002 or lower.

It is a stylized pic of the cottage I grew up in, taken from the two track road going to it. Lots of memories rolled into that pic!
True statement. Mine finished at exactly 1.002.
I don't bottle but would still love to see the pic. :mug:

Started my yeast starter with the wyeast 3711 a few hours ago, and it's already bubbling away. Brewing this recipe tomorrow :)

Back