Could someone take a look at my city's water profile?!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenjaminJonah

Reaction score
I have been getting a weird taste in all of my batches. I am 99% sure its not oxidation. My only thought is that it could be the city water that I am using. Could anyone take a look at the following water profile and let me know if I should be treating the water or if it could be causing weird flavors?

http://www.ci.columbia-heights.mn.us/departments/pdf/2011_PW_Waterquality.pdf

I agree you need the following
Ca,Mg,Na,Cl,SO4 and hardness(alkalinity,HCO3) in ppm
Also Fe (iron) is nice.

Not sure of your brew method, but if you are not doing a full boil, you should boil all of your water to get the chlorine out. I started out doing partial boils and topping off the fermenter with water. I would boil about 2.5 gallons the night before and put that in the fermenter with the airlock on it.

Not sure of your brew method, but if you are not doing a full boil, you should boil all of your water to get the chlorine out. I started out doing partial boils and topping off the fermenter with water. I would boil about 2.5 gallons the night before and put that in the fermenter with the airlock on it.

If you are mashing with water with chlorine do you need to boil it before the mash or is it fine as long as you boil it later?

There are 2 entries that they call by products of disinfecting process (or something like that) and I'd be curious to see exactly what they may be. I don't have time now to look it up, I'm setting up a printer for someone.

Most municipal water reports are way too short on information. I highly recommend getting a Wards Labs report if you really want to work on your water. You'll need to know the things mentioned in the above posts.

Back