adding mouthfeel/body post-fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I have a pumpkin ale in the fermenter. This was my first AG, no-sparge attempt in which I missed both my intended mash temp (I was aiming for 152-154, but only hit ~149) and pre-boil gravity (so I added some DME).

I was concerned that the low mash temp would thin this out too much, but I was hoping the DME (1 lb in a 3.5 gallon batch) would help somewhat. I took a gravity reading last night and it is down to 1.012ish (OG = 1.052). It looks, smells, and tastes great. However, I think it might be too thin.

I know it's not even out of the fermenter, but I don't want to wait until it is all carbed up in the bottles to discover it is too thin when I might (???) be able to do something at this point to help.

I'm not one for messing too much with my brews, but was wondering if there was anything relatively unintrusive that could help add body at this point. Anything I can add? Would a particular carbonation level (high vs. low) help at all?

Are you kegging or bottling?

Actually I don't think it would matter, I think you could use this either way..but I have heard good things about Kreamyx heading powder

http://www.beer-wine.com/products/muntons-kreamy-x-primer-heading-powder-7oz-single-use

Muntons new Kreamy X has been designed to offer a simple solution to the home beer maker who wants to improve his beer in as simple and economical way as possible. KreamyX contains 200g of a blend of spray dried malt extract, dextrose and heading agent which is simply added in place of priming sugar to any beer kit.

The dextrose contains simple sugars which will encourage the rapid priming fermentation ensuring little opportunity for any contamination at the priming stage. The spray malt portion and heading agent of the KreamyX will improve head formation and head retention, overall flavour and increase the resultant body of the beer, making your beer more like the commercial equivalent.

Muntons Kreamy X is simple to use. Just follow the instructions provided on your beer kit substituting Kreamy X where sugar is used at the priming stage.

Try the new Kreamy X and you will be amazed at the improvement in your final beer.

kreamyx__47604_zoom.jpg

I bet you could even add it when racking to a keg...maybe boil it up like you would normal priming sugar....

Thanks Revvy - that stuff is new to me. I wonder what the "heading agent" is. I have no problem adding dextrose and/or DME, but am hesitant to add some unknown chemical (?) to my brew. Maybe I'll just bottle with some DME and call it done.

If you hit your OG with DME, then I think you're beer won't be too thin. After all - extract brewed beer isn't too thin, and it's made of DME and WATER. So you should be fine.

What was the OG? I think if we're talking a 5% or lower ABV I wouldn't personally worry about body in that beer unless you want something excessively thick. All the beers I've made with an OG of 1.05 or below have finished at 1.012 or below and I've been happy with the mouthfeel in all of them. But YMMV depending on personal preference.

You can add MaltoDextrine, just boil in a cup or two of water then add to the fermenter.

If you hit your OG with DME, then I think you're beer won't be too thin. After all - extract brewed beer isn't too thin, and it's made of DME and WATER. So you should be fine.

It was only 1lb of DME and 9.5 lb of grain - actually 7.5 lb of grain and 2 lb of raw pumpkin. I'll post the actual recipe when I get home if it will inform this discussion.

FWIW here's my grain bill for this recipe (note: I got horrible efficiency)

1 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 9.52 %
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 47.62 %
2 lbs Pumpkin, fresh (3.0 SRM) Grain 19.05 %
1 lbs Caramunich I (Weyermann) (43.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
8.0 oz Melanoidin (Weyermann) (33.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (1.4 SRM) Grain 4.76 %

I used what Revvy was talking about once. I happened to have a pack and no priming sugar and it was a Sunday with no store open. I used it on a wheat beer, one that needed no help with a heading agent.

You could shape the head like meringue. It was pretty interesting. I have friends that have used it with great results, I just used it on a style that didn't need it. Making matters worse, I used too much.

I also do not think you have an issue at 1.012. If it were .005 or so you might be concerned. Nice mouthfeel at that gravity.

I read some stonefruit wine recipes that used boiled banana solution for sweetening and mouthfeel. I've tried to use it in my cider, not sure on how much it will help.

You're tasting it uncarbed? I wouldn't worry. I'm pretty new at this but all of my beers tasted thin when bottling then came alive after bottle conditioning.

I read some stonefruit wine recipes that used boiled banana solution for sweetening and mouthfeel. I've tried to use it in my cider, not sure on how much it will help.
Thanks, but this seems rather extreme. I think I'll stay away from it.

You're tasting it uncarbed? I wouldn't worry. I'm pretty new at this but all of my beers tasted thin when bottling then came alive after bottle conditioning.

You're right of course that tasting it now is no way to judge the final product. But even at this point you should be able to gauge something about the mouthfeel. Carbonation level will certainly play a role here, but the viscosity of the base beer isn't going to change much from this point forward. It's green, its flat, it's still has a couple of weeks to go before I bottle it, so I know not to judge how the beer is going to turn out in terms of flavor. But the thinness (to me anyways) concerns me.

I also do not think you have an issue at 1.012. If it were .005 or so you might be concerned. Nice mouthfeel at that gravity.

Is gravity directly correlated to body? I figured lower gravity = drier beer, but not necessarily thinner beer. Likewise, higher gravity = sweeter beer, not necessarily fuller beer. Is it possible to have a thin beer that finished at 1.020 or a full beer that finished at 1.008?

Is gravity directly correlated to body? I figured lower gravity = drier beer, but not necessarily thinner beer. Likewise, higher gravity = sweeter beer, not necessarily fuller beer. Is it possible to have a thin beer that finished at 1.020 or a full beer that finished at 1.008?

The FG is synonymous with body and is mostly what is referred to as mouthfeel. If a beer ends at 1.020, it is not going to be considered thin. Note, however, that a beer can end up with a low FG and still have body due to carbonation (i.e., guiness stout w/NO2).

I've had your exact experience with a Pumpkin beer (actually, a Christmas beer since I only used pumpkin pie spices without the fruit itself). When I missed my OG by a lot, the spices became overwhelming.

I used lactose (milk sugar) to bring up the FG. And it was necessary. I believe this unfermentable sugar lends the perfect taste to a holiday beer.

I added 8 oz to a 5g batch. That might be enough for your brew. For mine, althouth it helped immensely, I should have gone a full lb.

BTW, you can use a software tool (i.e., Beersmith) to figure out how this sugar will affect your beer, but I can tell you from my experience that 8 oz will raise the final gravity 4 points (in 5g), and it will increase the mouthfeel signficantly.

Good Luck and post back on the result, whichever way you go.

Body is basically a combination of unfermented sugars and carbonation. So if you didn't carbonate a 1.020 FG beer I would imagine it could be pretty thin.

The FG is synonymous with body and is mostly what is referred to as mouthfeel. If a beer ends at 1.020, it is not going to be considered thin. Note, however, that a beer can end up with a low FG and still have body due to carbonation (i.e., guiness stout w/NO2).

I've had your exact experience with a Pumpkin beer (actually, a Christmas beer since I only used pumpkin pie spices without the fruit itself). When I missed my OG by a lot, the spices became overwhelming.

I used lactose (milk sugar) to bring up the FG. And it was necessary. I believe this unfermentable sugar lends the perfect taste to a holiday beer.

I added 8 oz to a 5g batch. That might be enough for your brew. For mine, althouth it helped immensely, I should have gone a full lb.

BTW, you can use a software tool (i.e., Beersmith) to figure out how this sugar will affect your beer, but I can tell you from my experience that 8 oz will raise the final gravity 4 points (in 5g), and it will increase the mouthfeel signficantly.

But did you add DME to hit your target OG like the OP did?

FWIW, sometimes wine brewers use glycerol to increase mouthfeel. *shrug*

That Kreamyx stuff looks pretty good, hmm...

Cool post.

Back