Storing the wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andylegate

Reaction score
Since I asked a question about liquid yeasts, it got me to thinking about something here:

Normally I double and triple check to make sure I have all my ingredients. Then I go and forget something as simple as a net bag for my grains to steep in! Har har!
But let's say that something goes wrong with my yeast. I've got a 4 year old at home and he decides that he wants to play with the starter yeast and spills it everywhere, and I don't have a back up. Mater of fact, I've already had the wort boiling and it was being chilled to pitch the yeast when I discover this (AAAAUUUUHHHHGGGG! we can hear Charlie Brown screaming!). This is hypothetical.
Once I've chilled the wort, pour it in to the fermentation bucket and seal it with the air lock, how long can the wort stand like that? Meaning I had to get more yeast and it's going to take a day or two. Wouldn't the wort be just fine?

If your sanitation procedures are sound, the wort should store just fine. Pitch ASAP and hope for the best! If it's already fermenting by the time you open the fermenter to pitch...call it a lambic!

A lambic! Yah, that's what I MEANT to make, sure! :D

Let me just hope that it doesn't happen. I mean I've got a pack of dry ale yeast stored, but only as an emergency.
Ya know..... my step brother is in charge of dispatch at the county sheriffs office. I suppose I could call him up on 911, tell him what happened and he could send some cars out to the LHBS for me....... boy wouldn't that be something! LOL!!

Actually, I read something on Belgian Lambics. Some place over there were their lambics do really well with wild yeasts. Something about the timbers in the place that they store the lambic to ferment at or something like that. Sounded interesting.

andylegate said:
Actually, I read something on Belgian Lambics. Some place over there were their lambics do really well with wild yeasts. Something about the timbers in the place that they store the lambic to ferment at or something like that. Sounded interesting.
Yeah - location has EVERYTHING to do with naturally fermented beers. Most wild yeast strains aren't beer friendly, but the predominant wild yeast strains in certain areas of Belgium are apparently very good at making beer.

Yuri_Rage said:
Yeah - location has EVERYTHING to do with naturally fermented beers. Most wild yeast strains aren't beer friendly, but the predominant wild yeast strains in certain areas of Belgium are apparently very good at making beer.

Let's hear it for Belgium! :mug:

Actually, everytime I hear the name Belgium I think of a movie from the 70's, "Murder By Death" a comedy with Peter Falk, James Cocoa, David Niven and others, it was hilarious. But there was a line in the movie where Peter Falk's charactor (Sam Diamond, a spoof of Sam Spade), kept calling Jame Cocoa's charactor (A spoof of Hercule Perot) "Frenchy" and James Cocoa yells back:
"I'm a Belgy! Not a Frenchy!"
LOL! :D

Latest posts

Back