noob w a couple of prob dumb questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
#1 evryone seems to like star san but on the info it says use in plastic should be keep to a min. Im going to b using plastic (better bottle) carboys is this a problem as i would like to use the star san.

#2 some ppl use a carboy blow off is it needed or could i just use a Three-Piece Airlock

#3 starter yeast. as i understand it instead of just pouring the smack pack after it's active right in to the Fermenter. You activate it then mix up a small batch of worth pour it in a seperate small container ferment it then cool it drain off the liquid then pour the yeast slurry into the fermenter . what is the purpose of this . or could you just use 2 smackpacks

thanks sorry if these r repeat questions

1. No problem. I use it on plastic all the time.

2.Blow off for crazy active fermentations. 3 piece-everything else.

3. Starters make more yeast. More yeast= faster fermentation starts, healthier fermentations, and ultimately better beer.

4. Welcome to the madness!

lancaster county, pa Thanks for all the kindness

Most of the beer i want to brew recommends yeast starter, could you use 2 yeast packs, they seems confusing the yeast starters that is. Can't afford a Magnetic Mini Stirrer witch i see ppl use. Gettting started is puttin a pretty big dent in my pocket as is. Could i use a plastic container for the starter. Also i saw ppl saw they when u make a batch of beer you can save the left over yeast and use that. What is the shelf like on that, and where do u store it fridge, basement. Everything else seems fairly simple.
My setup is going to be a deluxe starter kit ,getting a worth chiller, some star san, 10 g mega pot with ball value and thermometer. So now i'm just trying to fig. out beer i want to make and to get this yeast starter fig out.

oh one more thing my stove is crappy so i'm going to be boiling the megapot on my gas webber grill it's a four burner i'm guessing this will b ok. Has any one else done this or should i just spring for a burner and stand cuz i'm tryin to save a little money so i can get ingredients thanks

You can use dry yeast to start--it doesn't need a starter.

Or, just make a starter in a big glass jar, or your fermenter. I use a glass gallon jug for my starters--no stirplate needed.

A cheaper alternative to your megapot is to buy a turkey fryer. They come w/ a big enough pot and you can find them cheap sometimes. I gave $30 for mine--32qt. pot w/ burner. I can do 7.5 gal boils in it if I'm careful

A stir plate is nice but not required. You'll just need to make bigger starters without one.

Mrmalty.com for yeast sizing. You can throw in more than one package.

I prefer liquid yeast over dry hands down. Beer starts faster and finishes cleaner for me.

Plus I prefer the starter it allows me to forge a relationship with the yeast and make sure they get acquainted with their environment.

I've always thought dry yeast seemed upset somehow.

RCCOLA has the answers. Don't get overly worried about the yeast starter. I put off using starters for years because I was so worried about getting the yeast contaminated. When I finally did make a starter it was one of those "Geez that was easy" moments. Just remember proper sanitation and look through these forums for more info on starters. Here's one post to check out...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-make-yeast-starter-pictorial-76101/

Back