How many 12oz bottles do I need for 5 gal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer is good

Reaction score
Hey buddies, my 5 gallon batches fill just about 25 24oz bottles after loss in trub and crap when racking to the secondary and into the bottling bucket.

I was wondering, when my 12oz heineken bottle says 12 ounces, is that to the brim? or the airspace in there is accounted for, and when I fill it with my filler and get that airspace, that is still 12 ounces?

So can I use 52 12 ounce bottles?

thanks

52 will be plenty, i usually get 42-46 bottles per 5 gal batch after I lose a bit to trub.

I've actually never gotten more than 49 bottles when I was bottling. If you had exactly 5 gallons of usable beer after racking and what not you would yeild 53 12oz beers. I believe that if you filled up a 12oz bottle to the brim you'd get roughly 13oz in it. But, luckily, if you use a bottling wand and fill to the brim then pull the wand out the level drop to a more appropriate level.

Beer is good said:
Hey buddies, my 5 gallon batches fill just about 25 24oz bottles after loss in trub and crap when racking to the secondary and into the bottling bucket.

I was wondering, when my 12oz heineken bottle says 12 ounces, is that to the brim? or the airspace in there is accounted for, and when I fill it with my filler and get that airspace, that is still 12 ounces?

So can I use 52 12 ounce bottles?

thanks

Yeah, 2 cases generally equals 5 gallons. You might want a few extra to spare.

The newb speaks:

I do the math , then add 1 bottle and 1 cap per gallon to the sanitizing process. I've only ever needed one, period, but I can still count the number of batches on my digits. Hopefully, my luck will hold.

Back