Primary fermenting complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twgreen

Reaction score
Okay so my primary fermenting is now complete and I am going to transfer to another bucket tonight. After I do the transfer I would like to put it in the basement where temps are in the mid to high 50's, will this be okay?

I just bough my hydrometer today, I didn't realize that I needed it to calculate my alcohol %. Is there any other way to calculate it by getting a reading after fermentation? I am going to start another 5 gallons with the same cider I was thinking about taking a reading from that then guessing.

On my next 5 gallons I am going to use K1-V1116 yeast. I was thinking of adding some honey or brown sugar what are the opinions on adding these to the cider?

Thanks everyone for all the help. If there is anywhere you may suggest to find info on bottling and just general info I would appreciate it.

Which yeast are you suing for this run, the K1-V1116? or similar? 50* is a good base temp for most secondary's, and you'll achieve great sedimentation if using something like a 71B which is only tolerant down to 50, not below, although that is the Lavin rating on it, partial cleaning will occur by the yeast as it settles cleaning the flavour content of the brew. OK, definitely way easier to take hydrometer readings but you can take an Alchometer reading, far less accurate for lower contents brews but still a rough estimate of the AA. Go ahead with the honey, especially as you're planning on the K1-V1116, the ester production of this yeast is great and especially if you pasterise the honey at low temp like 140* then you wont drive of the floral aromas and only add the the over all character, have you thought about nutmeg? goes real nice in small quantities. Consult Papizan's chapter on bottling, in his book Complete joy of home brewing, he is the master ;)

Sweet, all the best man

For this run I am using Windsor yeast. I just transferred to the secondary (Lowe's 5gal bucket) hydrometer is at 1.010. I did have to take a glass and it tasted a lot like woodchuck, it was even a little carbonated.

If you like the Windsor batch where it is now, I would suggest cold crashing before the rest of the sugar is gone. read the sticky or search on cold crash for more info.

Latest posts

Back