6 gallons of Pinot Gris grape juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
anyone have any ideas on how I should ferment this?

Type of yeast, sugar etc?

This is supposed to be 6 gallons of pressed grape juice i don't know if it will be pasteurized or not. Supposed to be getting it in april.

I can try and answer this. I have never made wine from anything but berries and cherries, but I am about to order a pail of the fresh Chilean grape juice from M&M. I know that they sell just the juice with no other additives (check to make sure that your supplier does the same). I've read/skimmed several books on wine making, but the information on making wine from fresh juice is a bit limited. I have ideas on how to do this, but I am not 100% positive so others should comment to correct me. Here are the basics of how to start:

1. Put juice in fermentor, add necessary amount of sugar to bring Brix to required level.
2. Add 1 campden tablet per gallon of juice (crushed & mixed with a little warm water to dissolve).
3. Check acid level and add necessary additives.
4. Add pectin enzyme.
5. Wait 24 hours & then add yeast.
6. Stir & mix at least once a day.
7. When primary fermentation is complete, rack to carboy/demi-john, etc...
8. Rack/bottle according to schedule, add necessary additives, and make sure there is little/no head space so top off when necessary.

For sugar, I think that you just use ordinary table sugar. For yeast, check this chart WineMaker Magazine - Yeast Strains Chart

You should definitely pick up a wine making book. If you don't want to buy one, check your local library they should have several (if not they can get some from another library).

Good luck!

I can try and answer this. I have never made wine from anything but berries and cherries, but I am about to order a pail of the fresh Chilean grape juice from M&M. I know that they sell just the juice with no other additives (check to make sure that your supplier does the same). I've read/skimmed several books on wine making, but the information on making wine from fresh juice is a bit limited. I have ideas on how to do this, but I am not 100% positive so others should comment to correct me. Here are the basics of how to start:

1. Put juice in fermentor, add necessary amount of sugar to bring Brix to required level.
2. Add 1 campden tablet per gallon of juice (crushed & mixed with a little warm water to dissolve).
3. Check acid level and add necessary additives.
4. Add pectin enzyme.
5. Wait 24 hours & then add yeast.
6. Stir & mix at least once a day.
7. When primary fermentation is complete, rack to carboy/demi-john, etc...
8. Rack/bottle according to schedule, add necessary additives, and make sure there is little/no head space so top off when necessary.

For sugar, I think that you just use ordinary table sugar. For yeast, check this chart WineMaker Magazine - Yeast Strains Chart

You should definitely pick up a wine making book. If you don't want to buy one, check your local library they should have several (if not they can get some from another library).

Good luck!

I currently have no way to test for Ph. I was hoping someone would post whose done this before with good results.

At the very least we can compare notes and see how things turn out. :mug:

Back