Drinking out of the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWStockton

Reaction score
Ok so i'm brewing my first batch of beer. Put it in the fermenter (a 6gal bucket with a spigot) 6 days ago. It was a can of hopped honeybrown extract and 2.5lbs of dried breiss wheat extract. It stopped bubbling a couple days ago and today i turned on my spigot and drew up a pint. I tasted it and it was amazing. Very lightly carbonated (like a nitro brew off of tap). I plan on keeping it in the bucket for another week or two before bottling since everything i read says that's best. But until then can i grab a pint or two off the spigot now and then without harming anything?

Ok so i'm brewing my first batch of beer. Put it in the fermenter (a 6gal bucket with a spigot) 6 days ago. It was a can of hopped honeybrown extract and 2.5lbs of dried breiss wheat extract. It stopped bubbling a couple days ago and today i turned on my spigot and drew up a pint. I tasted it and it was amazing. Very lightly carbonated (like a nitro brew off of tap). I plan on keeping it in the bucket for another week or two before bottling since everything i read says that's best. But until then can i grab a pint or two off the spigot now and then without harming anything?

Congrats on you first brew! Sure you can pull a pint a week if you want. It will be uncarbonated and green beer but you surely can take a few tastes. Best to get another brew going, and another going soon and another after that. The idea is to get more beer brewing than you have tim eto drink. Eventuall yo'll have a pipeline of beer and won't need to take a few tastes off the fermenter.

just be careful that you dont create a vacuum and it sucks the content of your airlock in, so loosen your lid a little when pouring the beer.
and remember to clean and sterilize the spigot when done :mug:

Back