Powdered Soda & Beer Concentrate???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyoder

Reaction score
Came across this article and thought the forum would be interested:
What The?

Powdered soda packet or beer concentrate packet + special carbonating bottle + Water = Supposedly tasty, portable beverage ?

Alchemy!!!

Dont think the "beer" is real beer more like root beer? but basicaly just sodastream with powders? (gimmick)

but the beer is slated for a Q1 2013 release. And it's actually not a dehydrated powder, but a concentrated liquid that's brewed with less water for this purpose specifically.

So Its basically hopped malt extract you add water and CO2 and have beer.

I checked out the manufacturer's webpage and this stood out:
Beer is typically about 95% water, which makes it heavy, cumbersome, and expensive to transport. But with our innovative and modern brewing process (patent pending) we can create a nearly waterless beer concentrate that contains all the great flavor, alcohol, and aroma of a premium quality micro brew. Our beer is not dehydrated beer!

I'm skeptical. But I'll definitely try it if i get the opportunity...

You can't powder alcohol, but I see now that they have amended that post to mention that the beer mix is a concentrate.
From the "Pat's Backcountry Beverages" site:
Beer is typically about 95% water, which makes it heavy, cumbersome, and expensive to transport. But with our innovative and modern brewing process (patent pending) we can create a nearly waterless beer concentrate that contains all the great flavor, alcohol, and aroma of a premium quality micro brew. Our beer is not dehydrated beer!

Pat's Beer ConcentrateUnlike other concentrate processes, this is not just about making the beer and then "removing" the water afterwards (which is extremely energy inefficient). Instead, our process (patent pending) allows us to start with almost no water, and carefully control the environment of the fermentation. The result... concentrated beer with all the same great taste you're used to in a premium micro brew. All you do is add water, carbonate (check out our carbonator), and enjoy.

They claim they just brewed beer with nearly no water, I call shenanigans. I don't think it was ever anything you or I would recognize as beer.
Suggesting they fermented the stuff (themselves) at all is ridiculous.
If they wanted to create a 3% ABV beer, and removed the 95% water (leaving a VERY generous 2% for "other" including residual malt sugars, hop oils, and miscellaneous flavoring and color), you'd end up with a 60% ABV concentrate.

We all know that you can't get to 60% ABV without distillation- most yeast strains start dying off in the teens, with even the hardiest strains just breaking 20% under optimal conditions.
So basically, malt and hop flavored grain alcohol- you could make it yourself with a little dollop of hop tea, some malta goya, and Everclear- and it'd be just as disgusting as I expect this to be.

ETA- Oh, and if they're selling high-alcohol "beer syrup", I give it about 20 minutes until the first college student slams 12 of them with a case of red bull.

ETA- Oh, and if they're selling high-alcohol "beer syrup", I give it about 20 minutes until the first college student slams 12 of them with a case of red bull.

This.

I expect they are selling a Brew Dog Tactical Nuclear Penguin like product intended to be diluted to drink.

GilaMinumBeer said:
so, what would be different?

I was imagining some sort of totally flavorless powder. Could mix it in with my breakfast cereal, coffee, the possibilities are endless. Or get some sort of pill press and make booze pills. All the fun of being drunk without having to spend all the time drinking. :)

I'm just kidding about me actually doing that, but it'll only be a matter of time. If people are pouring vodka in their butt to get drunk quickly, imagine what will happen if you can make pills!

Back