First Year Hop Sprouts, Route them all up one string??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
From all of my readings, I've decided to not trim back the smaller sprouts, but to just let them grow. Should I run them around the larger bine that's already growing up the string or should I run more line?

only string 2 or 3 bines on a given climbing rope. Trim all the rest of the shoots back to channel the energy and nutrients to the primary bines.

Which ones should I pick? Should I just use common sense and choose the ones that seem to be growing the fastest?

Thick hearty looking guys is all I look for and sometimes I select them based on how my strings are oriented such that the onces I select have no issue grabbing hold and climbing without twisting them funny or anything like that. I go 2 strings from each crown so I try to select 2-3 on each side of the crown to train on that given stringer.

Hmm, I could always run another line, but I'm just wondering if this is what I should do.

generally, if they are first year plants, you'll develop a much larger root system if you train all the growth up. think of the leaves as little solar panels. hops are very close to the top of the heap when in comes to turning light energy into food energy for the growing plant. the only drawback i've faced is when it comes to thinning out the lower leaves, 3-4 feet off the ground once they are really up and climbing (june/july), is that some of the weaker shoots may take a beating in the process. the thinning of the lower leaves is to increase air circulation for those of us who live in humid climates as a way to provide an environment less conducive to disease development (downy mildew). the minimal damage to the weaker shoots is a minor issue compared to producing a large healthy root mass during the establishment period. year two and onward it's a good idea to thin as necessary. hope that helps. and remember to b-hoppy!

generally, if they are first year plants, you'll develop a much larger root system if you train all the growth up. think of the leaves as little solar panels. hops are very close to the top of the heap when in comes to turning light energy into food energy for the growing plant. the only drawback i've faced is when it comes to thinning out the lower leaves, 3-4 feet off the ground once they are really up and climbing (june/july), is that some of the weaker shoots may take a beating in the process. the thinning of the lower leaves is to increase air circulation for those of us who live in humid climates as a way to provide an environment less conducive to disease development (downy mildew). the minimal damage to the weaker shoots is a minor issue compared to producing a large healthy root mass during the establishment period. year two and onward it's a good idea to thin as necessary. hope that helps. and remember to b-hoppy!

Hoppy,

Thanks for the great info, but I guess I left some info out. I'm growing them in 20" wine barrel style planters. I know that a large root system is important, but should I take in account the size of the planter and trim some sprouts? I don't want to have a "health issue" because I have too much plant in a planter that is probably barely big enough.

J

if you are growing them in planters, then go ahead and thin. you're probably gonna have to do a sort of bonsai technique on them if that will be their final growing place. if they grow pretty well in your neck of the woods, they'll probably be ready to outgrow the planters in a few years. in the fall of the year, you can 'lift' them out of the pot, trim the crown, and replant. next spring everything will be ready to go, but with a smaller more compact crown. good luck.

I never did get professional opinion from Hops growers on this, but my horticultural friends all told me to leave all first year growth, let them grow and it will create a bigger root system for next year.

We did this and had all plants return very strong year 2 (and then onwards)

Just train a few , as many as you want to, and let others grow wild.

They will outgrow the planters possibly in the 2nd year. You will probably see runners pushing through gaps in the sides: trim the roots too. As to the original question, if you are growing all bines or more than 3, then more than one string will help spread out the leaves and reduce mold/moisture problems. Once they get crowded, I even trim lower leaves as they start to wilt or succumb to insects.

Good to know about trimming earlier when growing in a planter. My nugget hops are growing like crazy. I already ran 3 lines and I am still running out of room. I guess its time to trim!

My Nugget is also out of control. 1st year and it's about 20' tall. It's growing as fast as my 2nd year plants. I may have to move it (next year) to accomodate it's zeal for growing.

You can snip off the top if it's hit the roof (or whatever). It will then grow sidearms and fill in the gaps, and/or put energy into sprouting new bines.

Latest posts

Back