Got me a Whiskey Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymack

Reaction score
Yays or Nays... ?

I want to brew a traditional Cask Ale, using said Barrel. What are some dos and donts?

Any and all opinions, comments, suggestions welcomed.
FYI I'm only an Extract Brewer at this point in time.

Cheers,
J

As long as it's from a reputable source, leak free, uncontaminated from anything else and clean you've done well! Good work :)
Perfect for secondary conditioning.
Whisk(e)y barrel aged beer is a very personal taste. You'll need to experiment with time length/different brews to get the right balance when you use it.

Your beer will pick up the whiskey's flavor, so plan on that. Keep water in the barrel so it won't dry out and treat the water so it won't go all funky on you. Also, make a beer you know you'll like - 55 gallons is a lot of beer.:drunk:

The new(?) trend in boubon oak barrel-aged beer is one I wholeheartedly embrace. What sort of flavors are you planning on picking up (eg, vanilla, caramel)? Any thoughts on how long you want to age your ale? Hope this comes out according to plan.

Has anyone tried soaking oak chips in bourbon and throwing them in the secondary?

Seems like an interesting alternative for those of us who don't brew barrel-sized batches.

- What sort of flavors are you planning on picking up (eg, vanilla, caramel)? Any thoughts on how long you want to age your ale? Hope this comes out according to plan.

haven't a clue:p That's sort of why I posted in the first place. The offer just sort of came across my lap and figured "what the hey".

I'm willing to let it sit as long as need be and haven't thought about flavoring. Again, that's why I'm posting. I've been given the op to do something different and want to run with it as far as possible.
Do I even HAVE to brew a barrel full, or can I do a standard 5 gallon session?

Cheers,
J

5 gallons would be just a puddle in the bottom of your barrel. I suspect for it to work well, you would need to fill it up. Otherwise you will have too much air in the barrel and your beer will oxidize.

I think something like a porter or an altbier would probably work best. A number of folks here put bourbon in their porters when they rack to the secondary. The flavors seem to go well together.

Back