Unsure of correct category for competition entry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeastMaster

Reaction score
I just brewed a Belgian Blonde with tangelo and coriander and I'm considering entering it in to a competition if it turns out good. More than anything I'd like some feedback and I've never entered a competition before so for a few bucks I think it would be fun. I'm just unsure of what category it would need to be entered in to. Your help is appreciated.

If the tangelo is prominant, you may want to consider 20A as well. If the tangelo is subtle, I'd stick with 16e.

BTW, I made a Tangelo saison recently from about 4lbs of tangelos off a tree in my back yard that turned out great. I hope yours works out!

If the tangelo is prominant, you may want to consider 20A as well.

I strongly disagree. 16E really is the best choice for it regardless of the prominence of the fruit character.

Edit: In fact, I just found this in the 20A guidelines:

BJCP 20A Fruit Beer - Comments said:
Note that fruit-based lambics should be entered in the Fruit Lambic category (17F), while other fruit-based Belgian specialties should be entered in the Belgian Specialty Ale category (16E).

It doesn't get any more conclusive than that...

Back