Co2 T split = foam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laoz

Reaction score
Balanced my kegerator to nice results (5 ft beer line, copper tube covering line in tower, 45 degrees at second pour and 12 psi). Seemed all good. Recently I split my co2 line with a plastic T split to get a second keg carbing, planning on getting a dual tap at some point. Now I'm getting a lot of foam for the first 12oz or so. Can't figure why. The regulator is reading 12psi at the same setting as before the split even though it is going to two kegs. Not clear on why. Thought I might have need to crank it up to maintain the pressure. The pour seems the same speed as before, fast but not unreasonable. Any insights would be appreciated. Trying to avoid buying a second regulator.

The T split has nothing to do with it. I would look at a temperature change. If you went from one to two kegs the extra thermal mass might be changing the static temp of the fridge. If it's staying colder, you are getting more volumes of co2 even though the co2 is at the same pressure.

A second pour is reading just under 40 so the second keg seems to be dropping the temp 5 degrees. According the force carb chart I'm using 12 psi should still put the carbonation at a reasonable level.

I would drop it to 10 psi and try again. Most use 10ft beer lines to reduce foaming.

Things were working well at five feet which is what some calculations were suggesting (just over 6 really) and what my local brew shop said. Might try 10 tho. Thx. Noticed a space of air in the beer line by the connect. Might be the issue. What would cause that? Just moved to a new keg of brew and got a nice pour. Not as much head as I would have thought for a week at 12 psi but well carbed.

On a side note, loving this hobby but lots to learn. Really appreciate the help.

If you have co2 breaking out of solution in the beer line, the beer is overcarbed for the temperature. You can drop the temp a few degrees and also back off the psi. Try 9 psi at 36 degrees.

Balanced my kegerator to nice results (5 ft beer line, copper tube covering line in tower, 45 degrees at second pour and 12 psi). Seemed all good. Recently I split my co2 line with a plastic T split to get a second keg carbing, planning on getting a dual tap at some point. Now I'm getting a lot of foam for the first 12oz or so. Can't figure why. The regulator is reading 12psi at the same setting as before the split even though it is going to two kegs. Not clear on why. Thought I might have need to crank it up to maintain the pressure. The pour seems the same speed as before, fast but not unreasonable. Any insights would be appreciated. Trying to avoid buying a second regulator.

Agree with others, the "T" doesnt have anything to do with it. Either the the balance changed (temp) or you are sucking air somewhere. Sankey or ball/pin lock? If Sankey I have had it where everything works fine, disconnect the coupler and recouple and have foam. Sucking air was my problem.

The temp will change also as the volume in the kegs drop. Not sure why, but they will. So whatever VV you were are originally, you have to adjust as the PSI as the temp changes to match that original VV.

Thanks, guys. Since moving to the new keg alls been good. The keg getting low plus the temp change due to adding a second keg may have done it but the temp change was minimal (5 degrees or so) and I'm aware of the increased foam as a keg lowers but this was ridiculous (like 16oz of pure foam). I'm leaning towards a bad corny QD connection. Thanks for the help. Got some good possible solutions if the problem arises again. Enjoying a tall glass of Fishing Frog porter. Tastes like success. Thx

Thanks, guys. Since moving to the new keg alls been good. The keg getting low plus the temp change due to adding a second keg may have done it but the temp change was minimal (5 degrees or so) and I'm aware of the increased foam as a keg lowers but this was ridiculous (like 16oz of pure foam). I'm leaning towards a bad corny QD connection. Thanks for the help. Got some good possible solutions if the problem arises again. Enjoying a tall glass of Fishing Frog porter. Tastes like success. Thx

5 degree temp change is huge in my experience. Take a look at the volumes of CO2 table to see where you were and where you should have been with PSIG. http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/carbonation.html
5 degrees temp swing can be nearly 3 PSIG.

Back