Bakers Chocolate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biergarten

Reaction score
Brewing a Graham Cracker Brown today and have a question regarding ingredients: Recipe calls for .03 Bakers Chocolate - is that .03 lbs? Seems super light for a 5 gallon batch. Also, Graham Crackers - should I just throw these into the boil (Extract version) or use a Grain sock to contain all the crackers for easy disposal?

Thanks for your help.

I think I found the recipe you're using (from The Brew Hut) and I don't know what to make of the amounts. .91 Graham Crackers? Even aside from .91 of what, why exactly .91?

http://thebrewhut.com/brewblog.php?page=recipeDetail&filter=brewmaster&id=31

I suspect the crackers (which go into the boil) will fall apart so much a grain sock won't help much. When I did a pumpernickel porter beer, I mashed the loaf overnight, then used a stick blender to break it up and add to the boil. Something like that might work: soak the crackers in warm/hot water until they are mushy, than blend them into a liquid and add to the boil.

Baker's chocolate, first of all, is not very good chocolate. But aside from that, maybe it's supposed to be 3 ounces? A lot of people recommend cocoa as easier to use. The recipe already has 1/2 pound of chocolate malt, which is a good amount.

Thank you for reply McGarnigle. That is the correct recipe. I actually found a recipe card for that beer and it is a bit different from the recipe on the site. I actually used 4 lbs graham crackers broken into small pieces and put into grain bags. PIA to manage in the boil as the bags were completely full and I needed to constantly stir. I'm glad I did cause it turns to mush half way thru the boil. Saved a nasty cleanup at the end and probably prevented a clogged valve when transferring to fermenter.

As far as the chocolate, I just broke up 2 oz of the bakers chocolate and tossed in. Initial taste is awesome. This beer may need some aging given the high alcohol and give ingredients time to mesh.

Thanks again for the reply.

Back