Looking for a Chocolate Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhoz

Reaction score
Does anyone have an all grain chocolate stout recipe that they like and are willing to share? I thought this would be a nice brew to have around come fall.

BYO has a recipe: Youngs Double Chocolate Stout clone (May-Jun. 06) and IIRC it might be in the clone brews issue.

I understand. It's hard to tell if a recipe is any good. Personally I would only post a recipe I really like. Unfortunately, I won't be brewing a chocolate stout any time soon to provide feedback since chocolate in beer doesn't sound very appealing to me. BUT, I can recommend the oatmeal stout recipe that I posted - one of my favorites!

Brewpastor's a reliable source. If you want to try a big beer that's a chocolate stout, check out his recipe and divide everything by 4. If you want something a little less intimidating, then just scale everything back a little more. OR, just send him a PM and ask him directly what he thinks and what changes you could make to get what you're looking for.

Best stout I've made, I wound up just using 100% cocoa powder 1 cup 10 minutes left in boil and 1/2ish to 3/4ish cup boiled with priming sugar and lactose before bottling. This beer was wonderful, and the chocolate came through strong, but not too strong:

BADCOW Stout

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast
Yeast Starter: 2 days, 1 cup DME
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.020
IBU: 36
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: F'in Black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 168F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days @ 170F