champagne yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drengel

Reaction score
theres been a lot of posts about champagne yeast recently. most have said they use it when bottling to get a good creamy nitro-like head, or to finish high gravity beers. my question is- why not just use the champagne yeast to ferment the whole batch, i've heard it gives clean flavors. is using it just at bottling just so you can get the flavors you want from your primary yeast, and then get the creaminess also? i love beers on nitro, if i had the money or space i would try and set up a nitro system at home, but its just not feasible, so id like to try this. what are peoples thoughts on using champagne yeast for the full fermentation.

Champagne yeast being a wine yeast ferments types of sugars that beer yeast doesn't and priming with it could easily end up in bottle bombs.
I've also read that it will make the beer taste different from an ale yeast which may be to your taste, but I only use wine type yeasts on wine.
Feel free to give it a go, you may like the results.

The downside to using champagne yeast for the main ferment is mostly speed and flavor; lack of both. It also focculates slowly.

Back