hop sacks and lot of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bguzz

Reaction score
Did an IPA yesterday with 130 ibu's.

in a 60 minutes boil, I added 7.75 ounces of pellets in a muslin bag over the boil time. It was one of those longer bags...maybe a 2 foot long one. at the end it was a large lose ball of hops...like the size of a 16" softball. it seems loose in the boil, but when you took the bag out it compacted. I was wondering if I didn't get the ibu's I wanted with so many hops in a sack?

I guarantee that you didn't get 130 IBU's...those are calculated and not reality. If you left those hops in for 60 minutes you probably got pretty good isomerization even in the bag as you described it appearing pretty loose.

I agree with Bensiff. You can only reach, maybe, 100 ibu's at best since there is a saturation limit. You might could add more if you add hop oil (downstream) or hop hash to the boil. But otherwise you'll too out much less than that. No offense.

Back