Newbie Kegging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
I just kegged my first beer. I set my psi to 12 and threw it in the fridge. Do I shutoff my tank once I fill the tank to 12 psi or should it have constant pressure? Also, when I first hooked up the lines the regulator was reading 1000, now it's down to 600. Is this normal?

leave the gas on, the beer will be carbed in about 1-2 weeks. The high pressure gauge is pretty useless. especially if you are storing the co2 bottle in the fridge with the kegs

If you don't feel like waiting 2 weeks you may also refrigerate the keg for a day, then hook up the gas, set to 20 psi, and shake the crap out of it for 5 min. Or, you can also set your pressure at 35 and leave connected for 24 hours in the fridge. You will get good carbonation with either method.

leaving it at 12 psi for two weeks is the best way to go. no risk of overcarbing. it might be done after one week, but it will be best if it sits cold for at least two. and yes, leave it at 12 psi the whole time you're serving it, or else it will loose carbonation eventually

First question, no. Leave it on so that the co2 that gets absorbed by the beer is replaced or you get flat beer. The regulator issue sounds like you have a leak unless you put the co2 tank in the fridge. If you put it in the fridge, then the pressure inside the tank went down due to temp. If it isn't in the fridge, use some soapy water to locate the leak.

Back