Kegging with Soda Corny Kegs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclonebrew

Reaction score
My first IPA extract brew is working it's magic in the fermenting bucket as I type (three days). I have spent the last couple of nights cleaning and sanitizing bottles. What a job! So I made a call to my friend that works for Soda Distributor to see if he could get me a couple of soda kegs. He got it done! :rockin:

I own a CO2 tank and have a fridge in my garage. My thought was that maybe I will keg this beer instead of bottle (pick-up a picnic tap). What do I need to do to get this done? What is the best way to clean the kegs? Maintenance? Can I pick-up Ball locking fittings locally? Any suggestions or insight would be a ton of help! Thanks in advance. :mug:

There's plenty of threads on cleaning, but basically you take them apart, wash everything, replace the o-rings and put them back together.

You'll need a regulator, and you probably should install new o rings and gaskets so that you won't have any off flavors from the soft drinks that were stored in them. Clean it like any stainless steel and sanitize it. Also a picnic tap which you menitioned. also food grade lubricant. Your local homebrew store should have everything

Bar Keeper's Friend is your, er, friend if there's any rust or other nasties on the steel. It's oxalic acid based so after scrubbing off the rust and other crud with that and a scotchbrite pad the steel will self-passivate in a week or so.

Stuff dries out you skin something fierce, though, so you might better use gloves. I found this out after scrubbing down five NASTY kegs over a 6 hour period. Back of my hands felt like lizard scales for a week.

Back