10 weeks in the fermemter and no secondary: the longer the better (yeah, baby!!!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I recently had my first bottle of a pumpkin ale I brewed and left in the fermeter for approximately 10 weeks (no, didn't use a secondary; never do) and let condition for about 4 weeks. Though I'm relatively new to brewing, this has been one of my best
beers yet.

I've heard a lot of stuff that leaving the beer to ferment too long is a bad thing and that 10 weeks can be considered too long. For me at least with this batch, I think the longer the better and that a secondary isn't necessary. The beer tastes very crisp and clean and has no weird aftertastes. Indeed, I can bet that, it's so clean that, if consumed in mass quantities, would not create any hangover effects.

Anyone want to enter the primary / secondary and how long to ferment merry-go-around debate and comment?

I think that debate has been beaten to death. I'm glad, though, that your beer came out well!

That's my point. The fact that it's been debated to death and continues to be means that whatever you choose is good or on another level, that the choice is arbitrary.

Contrast the never ending debates about whether republicans or democrats got it right, whether we should have a strong federal government or states rights or whether god exists with the debates over subjects that have ended, such as slavery or anti-miscegenation laws. We debate the former issues nonstop. We no linger debate the latter issues.

Guess this is a long winded way of saying...brew your own way; whatever works is good.

Back