Foam problems on 1 of 2 taps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaobrien6

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has a suggestion for this one. I have a 2 tap kegerator. My beer lines are only 5', so I know I should go longer probably, but in the meantime, I'm a little confused by something. I have 2 beers on tap right now, both commercially filled corny's from the same brewery. One is dispensing very well, only a little extra foam in the first glass, but not bad at all. The other beer is dispensing with a *lot* of extra foam in the first glass. The keg's have been on tap for about a month now, so I'd think that even if they were carb'ed with different volumes of CO2 by the brewery, they'd have stabilized by now to my dispensing pressure of 10 psi. Any idea what else I should be looking at, for why one is coming out much much foamier than the other?

Kinks in the hose? debri? Air in the lines? Beer kegged too early? A few things it could be.

What kind of faucet?
Stainless Steel?

I know a BUNCH of people over on micromatic forum that had gunk build-up issues in the their faucets before they switched over to ALL SS faucets.

Disassemble your faucet completely and clean thoroughly, then reassemble.

What temp is the beer in the glass immediately after pouring.

Swap the lines first to see if the problem is in the line or the beer.

But the real solution is to use longer lines.

What kind of faucet?
Stainless Steel?

I know a BUNCH of people over on micromatic forum that had gunk build-up issues in the their faucets before they switched over to ALL SS faucets.

Disassemble your faucet completely and clean thoroughly, then reassemble.

What temp is the beer in the glass immediately after pouring.

They are not stainless steel. I'm going to be upgrading to some perlicks shortly, so that should help out with that if it's part of the problem. I'll check the temp. I know I have a little bit of a warming problem in the tower. I'm not using any sort of blower at this time, but tried out the copper tubing passive cooling method. It has only worked so-so. However, I didn't figure warming was the problem since it should be affecting both beers equally.

Swap the lines first to see if the problem is in the line or the beer.

But the real solution is to use longer lines.

Good point, I should definitely swap the lines and see if it changes anything. I do plan on going to 10' lines, once these two kegs are kicked. I don't feel like swapping out the lines and fittings in mid-keg.

Back