Headed to Russian River Brewery for the first time and also never had a RR beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you read correctly. I have never had a Russian River beer such as Pliny the elder.

I hope to be enlightened this weekend when I visit the pub. Any suggestions or must do's while I am there?

I will have AHA membership card in hand which I hear gets me happy hour prices any time of day, but not sure what happy hour includes to begin with.

If you like spicy try the Pliny Bites. They are an appetizer which is bread with jalepeno's baked in. So tasty :) But +1 on the sampler, it's the only way to go.

Get the Mikey pizza, it's to die for. And ollllo, if you are in the area again give me a call. I work at a winery and can give you the insider tour.

Oh, ok, well any size except 1oz then :) That will be great. Do they sell beer in growlers there too? I know they have pliny and others in 500 and 750ml bottles but just wondering about the fresh stuff.

yes. Russian River sells growlers. I think you can get most of their beer with the exception of some of the sours.

Very nice, well I hope to find a couple new favorites while I am there, the only problems is they don't distribute them anywhere near me so I can't get hooked basically.

You can get any of their beers on Tap in a growler. There are only like three bottled beers, sometimes 5 or 6. The samples I think are three oz, though olllo could be correct. I did a sampler at the Bear Republic and got 13x3oz pours. I was driving so I had a sip of them all, a taste of the ones I liked and then left about 24oz of beer on the bar. Got home safely and without any tickets.

My stop by Russian River was very nice. I did try the Pliny bites and had the sampler of the Califonian side as they called it without the Belgian beers. They are 2oz samples and they have some really good beers. I certainly liked the Pliny which I didn't really think I would as one of the only IIPAs I have had is the ruination and I don't really like that one.

Their 2 IPAs are really good too, blind pig and RR IPA, I preferred the blind pig of the 2. I also really liked the porter as well and even their single hopped ale which is all sterling and would fit into the APA BJCP class.

At any rate I took olllllo advise and stopped by the bottle barn where I picked up a few plinys and a blind pig. They have a great selection and they even had the spring beer from Redhook which is copperhook which I have a clone of going right now so I can compare.

Hell dude, I might well have seen you at bottle barn if you were just there yesterday evening. I picked up a whole basket of beer including three Consecration, a Damnation and a Pliny. Good to hear that you liked the beers and you have to try the Belgians. They are phenomenal examples of beer and worth the effort of sampling. They aren't for everyone, but they are the freshest examples that are available on the market.

Hell dude, I might well have seen you at bottle barn if you were just there yesterday evening. I picked up a whole basket of beer including three Consecration, a Damnation and a Pliny. Good to hear that you liked the beers and you have to try the Belgians. They are phenomenal examples of beer and worth the effort of sampling. They aren't for everyone, but they are the freshest examples that are available on the market.

That is good to hear about the Belgians and i will try some if I get up there again. I am thinking of brewing up that recipe of Pliny that Vinnie gave out after my visit.

That is good to hear about the Belgians and i will try some if I get up there again. I am thinking of brewing up that recipe of Pliny that Vinnie gave out after my visit.

Are you referring to the recipe in the newest Zymurgy? If so, Vinnie must have messed up on the translation to homebrew sized batches, because the grain bill was way too small for an IIPA. There's a thread about it somewhere around here.

Are you referring to the recipe in the newest Zymurgy? If so, Vinnie must have messed up on the translation to homebrew sized batches, because the grain bill was way too small for an IIPA. There's a thread about it somewhere around here.

There are recipes all around, he gave it out at last years National HB meeting but yes I have the Zymurgy, actually just got it yesterday so I haven't looked at it too close yet. I know the OG is 1.070 and as long as you keep the same percentages who cares the about the amounts he listed.

Back