California Common Two time gold winning Cali Common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfgoat

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 2112
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 60 degrees F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 35 degrees F
Tasting Notes
Not a typical common due to hops but great tasting.
Boil Size: 6.85 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 90.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 78.0 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 12.2 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.8 %
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 20.4 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -
1.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 20.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112) [12 Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 4.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 12.81 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 7.17 qt of water at 200.7 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 3.89 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------
I didn't have any NB hops so I subbed in Liberty instead so its not a true cali common in that sense.

Any flavor and aroma notes from subbing in Liberty hops instead of northern brewer? I like the grain bill already. Any updated info would be:rockin:

Any flavor and aroma notes from subbing in Liberty hops instead of northern brewer? I like the grain bill already. Any updated info would be:rockin:

I dont remember exactly what the judges notes were but I remember both judges and other HBT members saying the liberty hops added a slight spice and gave the beer more depth and complexity.

I dont remember exactly what the judges notes were but I remember both judges and other HBT members saying the liberty hops added a slight spice and gave the beer more depth and complexity.

sounds like a perfect combo with the spice notes from the liberty hops blending well with the sweet C60 and Munich malts. Glad it turned great. I just put my Kentucky Common Ale on tap yesterday and I will post up my recipe either today or tomorrow with flavor and aroma notes. Cheers brother.

Thanks for the recipe.

In my competition experience, my Cali Common's w/ a healthy dose of Munich tend to score higher and win more awards than a closer representation of Anchor brewed about the same way with only 2-Row & Crystal 40L.

In the past few years, I've submitted 3-4 of each variety. Most judges have commented that my Munich-free variety is "not malty enough," even though it's a spot-on Anchor Steam clone. I mean...dead on. My theory is that steam beers often get judged in flights with more robust Altbiers and the extra Munich gives some "wow factor" in a mini-BOS round when the two styles are compared.

Moral to the story: add some Munich if you're going for bling or prefer the extra maltiness. If you look at past NHC winners, most have a more complex grain bill than Anchor's.

Back