Diacetyl and sulfur developing in keg with WLP860

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuercusMax

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if I am having an infection issue (pedio?) or if it's just something wacky going on with this yeast continuing to work after kegging.

I'm using WLP860 Munich Helles yeast for a 1.048 helles. I made a 3 quart starter, shook periodically, let it ferment out, then decanted and pitched at 6C, aerating for 5 minutes with drill+paint stirrer. (This is my normal lager procedure, I've done well in competition like this.) I raised the temperature up to 12C over 2 days, let it sit there for 2 days, then raised up to 13.5C for a week.

I took a gravity sample, it was 1.011. Didnt get any diacetyl or sulfur. It tasted a little raw/grainy, but that's normally what I get from this regime.

I then crashed to .5C, left it 6 days, and kegged and force carbonated, and left it at 33F for a couple days. It was really nice, crisp, no sulfur or diacetyl noticeable.

Since then I've moved it to my keezer which I keep around 40F, and it seems to have developed a ton of sulfur and diacetyl, but the crazy thing is they seem to get better and worse from day to day. One day I'll get massive sulfur aroma, but minimal diacetyl, and the next the sulfur will be gone but the diacetyl will be huge.

Is this normal? Should I just let it sit for another couple weeks? I've never had this with a lager before, but I've also never used this yeast. In the past, I've noticed lagers get clearer and smoother during the first few weeks of lagering, never had them get worse. I know I did rush this one a bit, but I've had 1.060-1.070 lagers that are extremely drinkable after this amount of time.

A follow up for anyone who cares:

With more lagering time, the diacetyl and sulfur are almost completely gone. This same helles took Silver in the Light Lager and Pilsners at the King of the Mountain yesterday. And the Rauchbier I made with the slurry from the helles took a Gold!

There may be very slight diacetyl, but it's just at the threshold of detection.

This is a really nice yeast, just make sure you give it enough conditioning time and pitch enough. :mug:

All lager yeast strains throw off differing amounts of diacetyl and sulfur. Diacetly usually can be removed with a warmer end of fermentation (55-60F) and it doesn't take long to absorb it. Sulfur does get scrubbed with a couple weeks of cold conditioning or more.

Both compounds being present could also mean there was a little fermentation left to be done.

Glad it all worked out for your beer!

Back