Super dry Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timdmyer

Reaction score
First off, thought I'd mention that this is my first post!
Anyways, I brewed my first Belgian Tripel a little while ago, and earlier today I bottled and took a gravity reading and was shocked to see that it fermented all the way down to a gravity of 1.00. When I tasted it it wasn't bad but thought it felt more like a wine. Now it's been a while since I've tasted a Tripel but is this outcome normal? Thanks in advance for your input.

Grain bill? Mash temp? Yeast used? Sugar content?

My tripels run 1.005-1.008 , 20% sugar, mashed at 150ish. Wlp500.

1.000 seems really dry.

14lbs 2 row 1lb carapils, wyeast Trappist high gravity 3787 yeast with 2L starter, 4 lbs sugar. Mash 152. OG: 1.08

Doesn't seem out of line... Given 25% sugar...

I suspect it will be a little harsh or thin, but you never know. It will change dramatically when carbed if you were testing hydrometer samples.

It does seem odd with 1 lb carapils in there. That should contribute unfermentable gravity (maybe not sweet but unfermentable).

4 lbs of sugar seems like too much but you should still be above 1.000.

Very strange.

I've heard on here that the addition of sugar contributes to dryness, but I was wondering why that is the case. You'd think that at the end of ferment there would be the same amount of unfermentable sugars left over.

I've heard on here that the addition of sugar contributes to dryness, but I was wondering why that is the case. You'd think that at the end of ferment there would be the same amount of unfermentable sugars left over.

Not if you're using 100% fermentables like table sugar. They can attenuate well below 1.000

Back