Twig from hops plant went in with the dryhops?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So heres the story. I was just dryhopping my Imperial IPA recipe and all was going to plan. Then I realized that my Amarillo hops were raw and remembered how much I hate having to cram those things into the carboy. Anyway, as I was doing so a pretty decent sized dried-up twig fell out with the hops and actually made it in before I could stop it. My questions for you guys are: 1- Is there a serious possibility that my brew could become infected because of this? 2-If not infected, could this at least cause off-flavors to develop. and 3- WHY THE HELL dont they do a better job of removing these sorts of things? I had no idea that a 2 inch long chunk of vine could be in my hops. Now I am worried that I just ruined a GREAT brew:confused:

AAAHHHH!!!!! Send it to me immediately! No need to risk infection.. I'll drink it for you.:D But they don't do a better job because it doesn't really matter. RDWHAHB.

Another issue here, unfortunately. Now the pile of dry amarillo hops is just sitting there on top of my beer and doesnt seem like it is going to spread out and saturate. The majority of the hops are piled up on each other above the liquid line. Should I sanitize something to push them down with? I want to get the most out of the dryhops as possible but I also do not want to risk oxidation at all. Any insight?

If you are really worried about it sanitize a spoon and gently push the pile of hops into the beer and it will be fine.

Well the problem is that I dryhopped in my primary (6.5 gallon carboy) so I could not think of a spoon long and narrow enough to get the job done here. I was thinking about sanitizing my racking cane and using that? not sure how effective that would be though. All in all though, if the hops are being held above the water line and arent getting wet, then I should do something about it right? First (and possibly last) time dry hopping with leaf hops so sorry for the noobness.

If your brewing spoon is like mine you can turn it upside down and use the handle to stir the contents of your carboy.

Ok so I went ahead and sanitized my old racking cane and used it to stir/spread the pile of hops out across the surface of the beer evenly. I then gave the carboy two good swirls (without any visible splashing/foaming) to spread them a bit more and hopefully get them more wet. There are definitely still plenty of hops all over the surface that are not wet at all, I just hope they become saturated over the course of the next 7 days. Do any of you think that by stirring and swirling a bit, I have greatly increased my risk of oxidation?

Since these were whole hops I would say there is already more oxygen in the product than in pelletized hops, so I wouldn't worry about it too much... others use whole hops all the time for dry hopping with no ill effects. Anyway, there should be enough co2 in solution to break free and purge the head space of oxygen either way.

Back