Split batch--which will need longer fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm splitting a 5 gallon extract mix for some experimentation--and I only have a basic set up of two plastic 5 gal buckets, and one glass carboy. I was going to put the half batch of whatever needs to secondary ferment longest in the glass carboy.
I guess my two main questions are is it cool to ferment a 2 1/2 gallon batch in a 5 gallon fermenter? And, which of these two batches will need longer to SECONDARY ferment--Oatmeal Stout or a Vanilla Cream Oatmeal Stout (second one I'm going to add some lactose and vanilla beans, no other differences)? I can probably answer the second question for myself....the vanilla one should take longer, to let those flavors soak in...right?

orrelse said:
I'm splitting a 5 gallon extract mix for some experimentation--and I only have a basic set up of two plastic 5 gal buckets, and one glass carboy. I was going to put the half batch of whatever needs to secondary ferment longest in the glass carboy.
I guess my two main questions are is it cool to ferment a 2 1/2 gallon batch in a 5 gallon fermenter? And, which of these two batches will need longer to SECONDARY ferment--Oatmeal Stout or a Vanilla Cream Oatmeal Stout (second one I'm going to add some lactose and vanilla beans, no other differences)? I can probably answer the second question for myself....the vanilla one should take longer, to let those flavors soak in...right?
I can answer half, typically beer will disapate any oxygen while ferminting, so ya its cool, Air space is ok, for beers that require more conditioning, by that I mean longer in the secondary I would fill to the top as a good brewing practice. But Its not gonna hurt anything. Generally, wines are what you have to worry about airspace due to aging times. Hope this helps

Back