help me filter my brew water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I want to start filtering my brew water.. I mean, I filter my drinking water, why not my brewing water? And I know this may sound ridiculous to some, but I want to make some kind of filtering rig. I currently live in an apartment (and probably will be for the next few years), so I don't want to build any permanent "in-line" filtering system, due to me renting. I also do not want to use a regular brita pitcher filter because that just takes long, and I'd be going through filters very quickly. I also don want to go out and purchase water because that is a pain...

I bring this up because a while back I saw someone post a thread about building a filtering system (although permanently installed) using some type of shower filter. That allowed a high rate of flow, and a longer filter life.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or any experience that they could share with me? I tried finding that thread again, but was not able to...

Thanks for the help!

Why not stop by your local grocery store or water place and pick up some distilled water and then add salts to set up the water profile for the particular style of beer you want to make?

BendBrewer - can you elaborate our point me in the direction you are thinking?

coryforsenate - while that would work just fine, i don't want to have to transport that much water every time i want to brew. its just a personal preference and something i'd rather avoid.

Something like this:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16763//Filter_Canister_Housing_-_10"

1550.jpg

Bendbrewer, that looks great! Thanks for such quick responses.

One other quick question: is that housing a standard size where I can have my choice of filters from a few different stores when its time to replace? I just don't want to pigeon hole myself into a position where I have to buy one replacement filter from one store...

Not sure about that but I see 10" filters are pretty standard. I don't filter myself.

There are standard water filters at Lowes/HD/Walmart for like $20-$30. You can get flexible RV water hose, an adapter to your hose/sink, and connect the filter with a shut off valve. I have mine permanently mounted to my garage wall with PEX line, but many people just move it around with the flexible hose.

Check this out: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/water-filter-setup-29145/

How long does it take you to get 10 gallons into a pot with your filter set up KPR?

How long does it take you to get 10 gallons into a pot with your filter set up KPR?

I try to keep the flowrate as low as I my patience allows me. Usually I have my 5 gallon HLT filled in 15 minutes, so about 1/3 gal/min flowrate. Sometimes I get impatient and just crank it to about 1 gal/min, but I'm sure it doesnt do as good filtering then.

Why not stop by your local grocery store or water place and pick up some distilled water and then add salts to set up the water profile for the particular style of beer you want to make?

That would be a mighty expensive way to go and a major hassle too with the adding back of chemicals in precise and often minute quantities. Transporting the water would not be much fun either. I think I will stick with filtering my tap water. It's not that hard to do.

After looking into this some more, I see that some guys are using a RO/DI system. (I don't even know what the DI stands for... ) when is a filtering system this advanced required?

After looking into this some more, I see that some guys are using a RO/DI system. (I don't even know what the DI stands for... ) when is a filtering system this advanced required?

In Third World countries.

Haha, nice. Alright, I think I'm going to go the route kpr121 proposed. What a great forum and great information guys, thanks!

Ok, So I went to Lowes and could not find the "WHCF-DW1" filter housing and "WHCF-DB1" filter. Instead, I got the whkf-dwh and whkf-db1. You can see them here

http://www.lowes.com/pd_89374-59019-WHKF-DWH_0__?newSearch=true&catalogId=10051&productId=1201339&UserSearch=whkf-dwh&Ntt=whkf-dwh&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151#BVRRWidgetID

and

http://www.lowes.com/pd_149004-59019-WHKF-DB1_0__?newSearch=true&catalogId=10051&productId=1137153&UserSearch=whkf-db1&Ntt=whkf-db1&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151

yet, I can't figure out if they are compatible. Any know? Or have a suggestion as to what I should get? I haven't used the filter yet because I'm not sure if I'll need to return it.

Do you really have to add back minerals to the water if say you used reverse osmosis and dionized water with a tds(total dissolved solids) of 0? Whats the benefit of adding back the minerals?

Back