Interesting First AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloomerjt07

Reaction score
I finally did my first AG today, and it was a Brown Ale. I decided to half the recipe from 6 gallons to 3, due to my lack of having a pot that could boil 6+ gallons. In halfing my recipe it threw me off quite bad. I thought i had it all figured out, but now the amount of water i needed, for some reason didn't function in my brain properly, Major brain fart. O well, i think i didn't sparge properly, but i seemed to be on the right track. We will see how it turns out, it smells good so far, I jus can't wait to see if the flavor sucks or if it isn't half bad. Defianently a good first experience, except my mash tun filter kept getting jammed and had to blow air into it, so i'm prepared to do another one soon enough.

Sparging is where I went wrong on my first partial mash brew...I didn't sparge with enough water and ended up with terrible efficiency (around 50%). I realized once I started the mash I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing :eek: My next brew is gonna be an AG and I think I have the process all worked out.

Here's to better brews in the future! :mug:

I have been doing all grain all along... and I still learn things. Did an Oatmeal stout that had an OG of 1.061 this week... #1 my final runnings were 1.018 and I ran out of brew kettle capacity, so I still left sugars behind :mad: #2 you really need a 10 gallon cooler to do a 5 gallon AG batch, that way you can even do step infusions with all that grain! Fixing those problems with my checkbook!

Brewpilot:rockin:

Bloomer, what were your gravity readings?

Why not stick with full size partial mashes. Do your 3 gallon AG thing and add to the fermenter.
Do a 2 gallon extract then add that.

Back