Stuck or very slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvolz

Reaction score
Hey all! Im new to this forum,so a big hello:rockin:I have an amber ale in the fermenter that will be 2 weeks on Christmas day.I put it in my basement to ferment,and fermometer read 58 or 60.It started fermenting after 8 or 10 hrs.Oh,I should mention I used wyeast 1056 with a starter.Ok,so it started out good,but slow prob. due to cool temp. in basement.After about 5 days it pretty much stopped bubbling.I brought it upstairs where its a bit warmer

Now it burps out of the airlock every 5-10 mins. and still has foamy krausen and yeast floating on top.The bottom also has a layer of what appears to be yeast also.The foam doesnt appear to be going down any and its bubbling very slow.Temp. on fermomter says 66 or 68.Should I pitch more yeast to get things going?Never had a fermentation like this before.Any ideas?Thanks much! Matt

Every fermentation is different. Some of them can be visually quite misleading; I would recommend leaning heavily on a hydrometer to understand what's going on. See if you're close to terminal gravity, and if the gravity is still going down (take two hydro readings two days apart and see if there's any difference).

If the gravity is about what you expected, and it's not going down, fermentation is probably complete. If it's still going down, fermentation is incomplete but you don't need to repitch. If you haven't reached a good terminal gravity and its not going down, you may consider repitching.

Sounds like you have a good fermentation. I would just leave it alone for another week and see what's going on then.

You could take a gravity reading, but you know from visual inspection that the yeast are not done yet. They have their own schedule and possess a peculiar wisdom fully comprehended only by fellow fungi.

I actually like PVH's advice better. RDWHAHB is usually the best policy. But if you are curious as to what's going on, you could take gravity readings like I said.

ok,thanks guys.I dont like to open the carboy to let nasties in until I rack intothe keg.Plus I dont have a thief or anything to reach down far enough to get to the beer to snatch a sample.I like to keep it simple and as clean as I can.I will just let it go and see what happens.Thanks for the advice!

Back