removing keg outputs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debtman7

Reaction score
I just bought 2 more kegs on eBay and the out posts have an odd star shaped pattern. My other kegs, and the inputs on these, have normal bolt style 6 sided posts that I can get off with a wrench. I can't get these posts off to save my life. I see online they sell sockets with this shape, but I'd rather skip the shipping and go get one at home depot. Anyone know what size I would need to get the post off?

Just get a box end wrench. Same size, 24 point. I think it's 15/16th's, but double check. A regular ratchet won't fit, the posts are too high.

Haul a keg to HD and find a socket that fits. I use a deep 12 point, I believe it's 7/8ths.

All five of mine are that way. The "ins" are 12 point and the "outs" are hex. I just happened to have a set of sockets big enough to have one for each type.

David's idea is a good one.

Just to clarify. The 12 point posts are for "gas in" and are used with the gray gas in QD's. If they are being used as beverage out posts, they are in the wrong place. And yes, they are most easily removed with a 7/8" 12 point deep socket.

John

I've used a box end wrench for some time and haven't had any problems. One reason was that I would have to usually buy a whole set of sockets.

Latest posts

Back