Too early to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuttybrown

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've just started my first home brew. I'm making an imperial nut brown from a kit. Following the advice of the lady at my local home brew store, I transferred to the secondary (a glass carboy) after 48 hours. Fermentation (judging only by the airlock) slowed greatly, so I got concerned. Did some research and see that most people wait a couple weeks before transferring to the secondary fermenter.

Do you think I should be concerned? Any steps I should take? Or just be patient and check the SG when it stops bubbling?

Thanks!

you want to transfer to secondary when fermentation is about 80-85% done, or at least that is the rule i follow. unless you have gravity readings, i can't say if you transferred too early or not

I can take a gravity reading if it will help... any tips on how to get the hydrometer into and out of the carboy?

Most folks around here, if they secondary at all, wait until fermentation is done. Gives your yeast the best chance to clean up their by products before you transfer to secondary to clear.

OK, so the gravity is 1.028. I can't tell you what kind of yeast I used because it came in the kit and I just threw the little sachet away.

The instructions say the final gravity should be between 1.009 and 1.013. My OG was 1.072.

OK, so the gravity is 1.028. I can't tell you what kind of yeast I used because it came in the kit and I just threw the little sachet away.

The instructions say the final gravity should be between 1.009 and 1.013. My OG was 1.072.

Then your yeast still has a lot of work to do...it's no where near being ready to move to secondary if you chose to....I usually recommend those who use a secondary to take a grav reading around the 12th day and then on the 14th...if it hasn't changed in those 3 days, THEN to rack...You aren't doing your beer any favors by trying to rush the process...

In brewing patience is rewarded with great beer.

Whew... that makes me feel a lot better. Finishing high will just mean a lower than intended ABV, correct?

Then your yeast still has a lot of work to do...it's no where near being ready to move to secondary if you chose to....I usually recommend those who use a secondary to take a grav reading around the 12th day and then on the 14th...if it hasn't changed in those 3 days, THEN to rack...You aren't doing your beer any favors by trying to rush the process...

In brewing patience is rewarded with great beer.

Yeah, I would've had no problem waiting. But the lady at the store told me to move it after 2 days. Maybe she was just trying to make it easy for a beginner, or maybe she didn't know.

The next batch will be better...

Back