lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red96jeep

Reaction score
so what exactly do u have to do to "lauger" a beer? i know it needs to be fermented cold and use a special strain of yeast but i'm sure it is more complicated then that just like everything else in brewing. please explain. and yaya for first post on this forum and just cuz i like this sticky :fro:

Do you mean Lautering? Lagering? Or Laughtering?

Lautering is the step in all grain brewing when you drain off the sweet wort from the grains. Read John Palmer's free "How to Brew" book, available online, to learn more.

Lagering is when you hold a beer under cold conditions to help it clear and age. Normally this is done with bottom fermenting lager yeast. However, you can technically "lager" an ale as well. The german style known as altbier is one example of this. Again, read Palmer's free online book to learn more.

Laughtering is when you stick a cat inside a 15 gallon keggle and sprinkle in a little catnip. I don't think Palmer covers this method in his book as it's a more advanced technique intended for experienced brewers.... ;)

Hope that helps!

Seriously - use the search tool & read the Wiki. Not trying to be a dick, but there is a ton of information already written about lagering.

i'm just trying to gain a general idea of how the process is done, i'm currently at school and wont be able to brew anything until at least march so i'm kinda just hoping to gain general knowledge that will help me when i do have the chance to brew something. it would be nice if you could just give a rundown of the typical lagering process. and sorry for the spelling/ no search i just got done reading for three hours about mesoamerica and am currently brain dead. yes i do mean lagering for anyone confused by my horrible spelling.

No, I will not type it out for you... because I personally know of a man named John Palmer who wrote a post on lagering in such a fine fashion that it is worthy of a published book.... oh wait. It's already in a published book. Oh. wait again. The topic of lagering has its own chapter in the book! Oh. And wait yet again! It's available on the internet. FOR FREE! Here it is.... enjoy!

How to Brew - By John Palmer - What is Different for Brewing Lager Beer?

:mug:

Now, with that all typed out already, if you feel that it is too much to read and you want a lazy condensed version, well then I can do that for you. Here you go... ready? Here's the condensed version of Palmer's chapter on lagering: Use lager yeast and stick it somewhere kind of cold.

Hope that helps.

Back