American IPA BierMuncher's Outer Limits IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lean heavy on Willamette when I'm short on Glacier. It's an awesome dry hop.

Great to hear, I have about a 1lb of Willamette too. :mug:
Could I sub out any part of the Centennial with Columbus or would the flavor/aroma suffer too much? Of course I would compensate for the difference in alpha acids.

I have enough Centennial but I would like to use up the Columbus.

Also on my list is your Sacred Summit Ale as Summit was another one of the 4 hops I bought in bulk. Hopefully I have a tangerine and not an onion batch :cross:

Thanks.

Think I'm going to put together a half batch of this today, subbing ahtanum for the amarillo because, well, it's what I have. I'll post pics when I get it in progress!

Finally got to brew this yesterday. It was a long brew day, with the mash in the afternoon and the boil last night, after the kids were in bed.

I overshot OG a bit, coming in at 1.080, and I subbed in ahtanum for the Amarillo additions. Can't wait to get this in the bottle!

P.S. I had enough grain after the sparge to run off a couple of gallons of wort that I boiled down to a gallon and a half at about 1.030. A couple of small saaz additions and a pitch of Notty, and this may be a potable table beer.
View attachment 1425908991679.jpg

View attachment 1425909049061.jpg

View attachment 1425909097169.jpg

How long are folks letting this primary before adding dry hops? I pitched a slurry of Notty Monday morning, and it bubbled furiously from Tuesday until last night sometime.

Give it through the weekend, at least?

How long are folks letting this primary before adding dry hops? I pitched a slurry of Notty Monday morning, and it bubbled furiously from Tuesday until last night sometime.

Give it through the weekend, at least?

I'm pretty sure when I brewed this way back, I waited 3 weeks before dry hopping.

So I finally brewed this a week ago. Hit the 1.078 on the nose and a week later it is at 1.023. I will bottle it in two weeks time and report back in a month or so when it's ready to drink. :rockin:

I'm going to brew this. Should I use 2 packs of Safale S-04 and mash at 154F for 60 min?

I mashed at 154 for 60 mins and got an OG of 1.078.
I fermented it t 66 for 16 days and it ended up at 1.020.
Then I upped it to 70F but after 5 days it was still at 1.020 so I bottled it tonight. Hopefully 1.020 will be OK , not too sweet or bottle bombs :confused:

The low attenuating yeast, high mash temp, and significant amount of crystal malt makes this IPA way too sweet IMO. I know this was the stated goal of the OP, but to me it's more of an under-hopped amber ale. YMMV.

I'm s little nervous about this yeast attenuating low. Has the recipe changed any to account for this?

This is going to be my first IPA.

I mashed at 154 for 60 mins and got an OG of 1.078.
I fermented it t 66 for 16 days and it ended up at 1.020.
Then I upped it to 70F but after 5 days it was still at 1.020 so I bottled it tonight. Hopefully 1.020 will be OK , not too sweet or bottle bombs :confused:

About 2.5 weeks in the bottle now and still seems "unfinished" for want of a better word. Think it's still improving every day so I'll give it a chance to mature. From tomorrow I'm going to go on the dry for 4 week so I'll come back to this beer at the end of the month. Hopefully it will have improved significantly. It is after all a 7.5% malty beer with 60 IBUs so I do expect it to take some time for it all to come together. :mug:

About 2.5 weeks in the bottle now and still seems "unfinished" for want of a better word. Think it's still improving every day so I'll give it a chance to mature. From tomorrow I'm going to go on the dry for 4 week so I'll come back to this beer at the end of the month. Hopefully it will have improved significantly. It is after all a 7.5% malty beer with 60 IBUs so I do expect it to take some time for it all to come together. :mug:

OK..... I was planning to brew this in 3 days but I'm getting nervous. My first IPA and I don't want to have attenuation issues.

Should I mash at 150F instead of 154F?

What are folks doing that have had success with this recipe?

Appreciate any help I can get.

OK..... I was planning to brew this in 3 days but I'm getting nervous. My first IPA and I don't want to have attenuation issues.

Should I mash at 150F instead of 154F?

What are folks doing that have had success with this recipe?

Appreciate any help I can get.

A long time ago, I brewed the recipe as written and didn't care for it. The triple whammy of low attenuating yeast, high mash temp, and lots of crystal malt makes this one much too sweet for my taste. But, that is what the OP was going for as stated in the first post, so if that sounds good to you then by all means go for it.

If you want to tweak it, I would reduce the amount of crystal malt, replace with base malt, and mash around 150F.

So I bottled this last night after a total of 22 days in the primary of which 11 days was on a dry hop. I tweaked the recipe very slightly to suit my system but it should be very close to the original. One thing i did was mash at 154F for a total of 75 minutes where I got a positive iodine test.

I usually prefer a "drier" IPA than this one but this thread keeps popping up with good reviews that I thought what the heck. My OG was 1.074 and my FG at bottling was 1.017 giving me right around 7.5% ABV.

The sample I tasted was right around what I expected. Very malty, fairly low perceived bitterness as a result of all the specialty malts, and hot alcohol taste and aroma. But i really think this is going to be a good beer in the end. Giving it 4 weeks in the bottle to reduce some of that hot alcohol and then having a taste.

Thanks to the OP for this recipe!

Just bought the grains for this recipe to brew in the next week or two. I have quite a big of bulk hops, but no Amarillo, or any direct substitutes, so I changed up the hop schedule to the following but kept total IBU's at 63.

Hops

Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.75 oz Nugget Pellet 13.5 First Wort 19.46
0.5 oz Nugget Pellet 13.5 Boil 45 min 19.66
0.5 oz Centennial Pellet 10 Boil 30 min 12.19
0.5 oz Cascade Pellet 7 Boil 15 min 5.51
0.5 oz Cascade Pellet 7 Boil 10 min 4.03
0.5 oz Cascade Pellet 7 Boil 5 min 2.21
0.5 oz Centennial Pellet 10 Boil 0 min
0.5 oz Centennial Pellet 10 Dry Hop 5 days
0.5 oz Cascade Pellet 7 Dry Hop 5 days
1 oz Willamette Pellet 4.5 Dry Hop 5 days

How's this look?

I'd love some help converting this 5.5 gallon IPA recipe to a one-gallon fermenter volume (1.5 gallon boil). 1 gallon works most conveniently for me, so it's what I do, but this recipe is proving challenging for me to convert because it's so hoppy (hop utilization changes), and so a simple "scale to volume" on brewersfriend.com really messes with the IBUs.

This is my first time brewing this and since the FG was designed to be slightly higher I Ended up using the following Hop schedule to get the IBU's up to 82:

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.5 oz Nugget Pellet 13.5 First Wort 12.97
1 oz Nugget Pellet 13.5 Boil 45 min 39.33
0.5 oz Centennial Pellet 10 Boil 30 min 12.19
0.5 oz Columbus Pellet 15 Boil 15 min 11.81
0.5 oz Cascade Pellet 7 Boil 10 min 4.03
0.5 oz Cascade Pellet 7 Boil 5 min 2.21
0.5 oz Centennial Pellet 10 Boil 0 min
0.5 oz Centennial Pellet 10 Dry Hop 5 days
0.5 oz Columbus Pellet 15 Dry Hop 5 days
1 oz Willamette Pellet 4.5 Dry Hop 5 days

I also mashed at 154f/60m. This has now been on tap for 7-10 days and I am really enjoying it. Bitterness is well balanced with the residual sweetness and matches the aroma from the dry hop addition well.

I'd brew this again, just don't expect a dry, west coast hop bomb style IPA. Surely a nice change of pace from IPA's that only focus on the hops, whereas this one lets you notice the hops, while also allowing the grain profile to shine.

Wanted to add a shot of the beer held up to the light so you can see a hint of the beautiful ruby red color of this grain bill. In person it's much more impressive. Just brew it!

IMAG1210.jpg

Back