Hops direct kicks butt!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My hop order came last week, tonight I repackaged the leaf hops into vacuum sealed bags.

Anyway, ordered a pound each of phoenix pellets and glacier leaf.

Both packages came out to 1 lb. 7 ounces of each!

Love that place!!!

Those are two hops I havent tried yet. Let me know how they are.

Also, Hops Direct is the best! Great family business, with some cool people. they answer calls and emails, and are a great source of hop information.

I haven't purchased any bulk hops online yet but with my FoodSaver coming (oh, I mean the wifes ;)) I plan to.

I did some quick surfing at this site and the prices seem great. Quick math on some cascade pellets came to .30 per ounce. What do they charge for shipping? (too lazy to fill in my name, address etc to get to the shipping costs).

Shipping is normal, no hidden costs. For my 2 lb. (actually 4 lbs.) the entire total with shipping was under 20 dollars.

The ONLY thing I don't like abotu Hops Direct is that they don't figure shipping fo royu immediately. You place the order and they e-mail you with the shipping charges before they send off the order. But everything else is top notch.

I've ordered from them and freshops and love them both. Freshops is WAY faster but they pack exactly what you ordered. 1 lb. = 1 lb. :p

Just ordered a bunch from them. I got mostly leafs my last order, but finding a hard time storing them all. So I went pellet this time, and one leaf of Perle for dry hopping probably.

Breakdown:
Item 01: 1 each HCHINP1 Chinook Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 5.71
Item 02: 1 each HFUGP1 Fuggle Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 7.59
Item 03: 1 each HMAGP1 Magnum Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 7.44
Item 04: 1 each HNBP1 Northern Brewer Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 6.91
Item 05: 1 each HSAAZP1 Czech Saaz Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 9.28
Item 06: 1 each HWILP1 Willamette Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 6.86
Item 07: 1 each HPGLF1 Perle (GR) Leaf Hops 1 lb $ 10.25
Item 08: 1 each HTARP1 Target (UK) Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 8.23
Item 09: 1 each HEKGP1 E.K. Golding Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 9.69
Item 10: 1 each HTETGRP1 Tettnanger (GR) Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 8.18

Total came to 80.14 for all of that.. and 14$ for shipping.

I think I'll have enough for a year or so :D

I still have tons of hersbrucker and cascades from my last order. I was running low on EK Golding somewhat so went and got some more.

Man I love hops... and hopsdirect.com

Mindflux said:
Just put my first order in.

1lbs Willamette leaf
1lbs NB Leaf

Tracking states 5lbs.

EGAD.

That's odd. I doubt the packing material could weight 3lbs. I think I'd give them a call about that.

Sam75 said:
That's odd. I doubt the packing material could weight 3lbs. I think I'd give them a call about that.

Every order Ive received is just the foil bags and the box they are sent in, nothing else. if thats true for Mindflux, thats one heck of an order!

Sam75 said:

Hops Direct is known for WAY overpacking their hops. Ie. Order 1 lb, get 2.

In this case, I could be getting 4 or more pounds.. unless they severely over-state the package weight (which would not be smart to do, since shipping packages is weight based).

I'm sure you're going to get that much probably around 4lbs.

I just ordered 10lbs from them and they package weight says 17lbs.

I've noticed on my past order, my leaf hops were a lot more... esp the cascades about 2lbs when I ordered 1lb.

My pellets of Hersbrucker on my last order were around 1lb 6oz's

These people are simply the best. Elizabeth handles the orders and she is very nice. They know you by name when you call, might be my last name since it's Outlaw though. :p

I've talked them on the phone and told them I'll tell everyone I know remotely interested in hops and hop related activities about them.

I've always been a hair curious as to why they double up most folks orders. It would seem they are 'throwing money out the window'.. then again they may look at it like gaining a good reputation.

Needless to say I have no idea what I'll do with 4 lbs of hops. Anyone want to buy 1lb of NB and 1lb of Willamette?

Mindflux said:
I've always been a hair curious as to why they double up most folks orders. It would seem they are 'throwing money out the window'.. then again they may look at it like gaining a good reputation.

I think it's because they aren't used to dealing in such small quantities. Before they went online and sold to the public, they only sold to businesses. Just an assumption though.

They probably also like the reputation too. Look how much cheaper it is in huge quantities, but if they get a lot of little guys buying 1lb at a time ... they might end up making more profits that way.

Latest posts

Back