keg lube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally you want to use something food grade that won't cause problems if you swallow it. I don't know if something made of silicone or something with an industrial application is the best way to go but it really depends on the ingredients, and what silicone does when inside your body. Granted only small amounts will make it into your stomach, but it also might affect the taste. The stuff they usually sell for kegs is water based, kind of like KY jelly.

In I pinch I have been known to lube things up with vasaleen, but if you get things set up right, you wont have to use lube as often as you might think. O wait are we talking about kegs.... sorry my mind started to wander.

The other concern would be the reaction between the lube an d the rubber o-rings. I don't know what plumbers lube is, but if it's petroleum based, then that would be a no-no.

Vaseline and rubber(s) don't mix. Basic Health 101.

If it's silicone, it 'should' be ok in that regard. But what else in in it is another story. I use Dow Corning 111 silicone lube. I checked the FDA data sheets to be sure it was ok for food and alcohol applications. Might be a good place to start. Or call Gunk.

olllllo said:
The other concern would be the reaction between the lube an d the rubber o-rings. I don't know what plumbers lube is, but if it's petroleum based, then that would be a no-no.

Yes and it is also never a good idea to double bag it either, rubber on rubber can cause trouble as well.

LIONS_FAN2539 said:
what about pam or cooking oil spray? anybody ever used that?
Many veggie oils will go rancid after exposure to oxygen.

I would go with olive oil if I was going to go that route. It's a good one for not oxidizing easily and I've never had any turn rancid on me.

I'll cut corners and such as much as anybody, but for $2.75 why would you bother to substitute. A tube lasts a long, long-long, LONG, long time.....

I got mine with the corny's and ball lock fittings from here, but ya must be ordering some stuff on a fairly regular basis from somebody that carries it...

http://www.brewersdiscount.com/item153481.ctlg

Donasay said:
Yes and it is also never a good idea to double bag it either, rubber on rubber can cause trouble as well.

I always thought 'double baggers' were equal to 'butter faces' (but-her face).:D

It is definitely fine to use!!!! It is designed for lubrication faucets., washers, etc in your faucets. It is FDA compliant. I use a different brand, but the advantage is that almost any hardware store should have it in stock. I can almost gaurantee it is exactly the same stuff as keg lube

Here's a link to their website.

http://www.gunk.ca/prodinfoeng.html

olllllo said:

That was my standard answer to this question, but apparently keg lube is petroleum-based, so what do I know?

Maybe the keg lube people are owned by the people who make replacement o-rings?

Back