Some krausen not falling back into beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IL1kebeer

Reaction score
Brewing a blood orange hefe and its the 10th day of fermentation. Most of the krausen fell back into the beer on day 6, but I have a bag in the carboy with blood oranges an it's still covered in krausen. Using wlp300 yeast an fermenting at 68 degrees. Is this normal? Will it affect taste?

I always have yeast clump up or form a krausen around fruit or other additions and on the hop bags when I use them to dry hop. What your describing sounds pretty normal to me. Fruit will start fermentation up again because of the added sugar from the fruit. Just make sure your FG is stable for a few days before you decide to package the beer. That krausen you're talking about shouldn't effect the beer flavor, but the fruit and spiced beers I've made have taken a longer time to condition. It takes a while for those extra flavors to blend well with the beer. It may be very tart at first but in time it will mellow out.

Back