Putting Double the yeast in...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1ryno

Reaction score
What happens if one were to put 5 gallons worth (1 vile) of yeast into a 2.5 gallon batch of wort?

I did add extra malt and extra LME.

Add a cup of sugar for more Alcohol?

1 vial isn't always the right amount for a 5 gallon batch so it's not always going to be twice the amount you need for a 2.5 gallon batch. It depends on the gravity of the wort as well as the amount.

What's the gravity of your 2.5 gal batch?

The amount you pitched was intended for a 5GAL batch? I don't think much will happen. The yeast you pitched would just consume the available sugars and then go dormant. I think I'd be more concerned about the additional sugars added to the smaller volume of wort. I think it would taste weird.

Well... doing a steep can be time consuming. All for a Mr Beer keg. I now see why people ramp up to 5 gallons. Spending all that time babysitting the pot, you may as well do 5 gallons worth so you can keep the frequency down.

I need a beer slave. Someone will cook my recipes.

Well... doing a steep can be time consuming. All for a Mr Beer keg. I now see why people ramp up to 5 gallons. Spending all that time babysitting the pot, you may as well do 5 gallons worth so you can keep the frequency down.

I need a beer slave. Someone will cook my recipes.

Wait til you go all-grain. Your comments will go to, 5gallons isn't QUITE worth it, I might as well do 10.

HAHAHA That's what happened to me. 10GALLON BREWERS UNITE! haha

You haven't answered the question regarding the gravity. Did you check your gravity?

For a 2.5 gallon batch of 1.055 wort, you will need exactly 1 vial of yeast (if you didn't use a starter). If your OG is anywhere near 1.055, then you're ok.

Isn't gravity on earth -9.8 ms^2? :)

No, I didnt measure anything. Its getting 2 weeks to do its thing.

Why ask the question if you have pre-determined how long it has to ferment? If you want to make good beer, get a hydrometer and take measurements so you know where you started and where you finished. But in this case, things should go fine

If you don't take measurments and notes you'll have a hard time recreating something good you've made.

I made a kick ass ESB. It was my second batch and it was plagued with problems through out the process. No notes, no readings. Can't ever make it again :(

the short answer is do nothing. yeast isn't like other ingredients.

Back