Lager starter: didn't decant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I made my first lager this weekend. After making a 0.75 gal starter for a 3 gal batch, I chilled it in the fridge for a day, but there was still a lot of yeast in suspension, so I just decided to boil the wort down to 2.25 gal and add the whole starter. However, I'm a little concerned since I grew the starter at 75F or so about esters and stuff.

Anybody ever done the same thing? How bad/good did it turn out?

I always pitch my entire starter, actually I make a real-wort-starter for lagers (with part of the batch for the first night). Usually I make sure the starter is at, or close to, the main fermentation temp (around 48-50). BUT a couple times I have been pressed for time, and grew the starter at room temps. I did notice slight diacetyl compared to other batches with the same yeast and cold starter temps. But I do mean slight, and it DID go away with time.

Give it a diacetyl rest and you'll be fine IMO. And try to do it right before terminal gravity.

Good luck!

Back